RESTful knowledge exchange
Swingley
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Swingley Cage

Finding veeamzips

Post by Swingley »

Hi,
New to Veeam and am not familiar with the underlying architecture of Veeam, but we are looking for a way using the API to identify all veeamzips and veeam exports that exist. I see API calls to to create a veeamzip, but can't find a way to query for veeamzips that already exist. Any guidance would be appreciated.
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Re: Finding veeamzips

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi Swingley,

You mentioned veeamzip creation, so I assume you are talking about EM REST API. If that's the case, existing veeamzip backups should be available under /backups endpoint. If you want to query them by particular properties, check this query.

Thanks,
Oleg
Swingley
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Swingley Cage

Post by Swingley »

Thanks so much for your response. Yes, I should have clarified, I am using the Enterprise Manager API, but I am open to using better options if they exist. I have spent some time with the backups endpoint and unless I don't know what I'm looking at (which is possible :D ) I'm not seeing anything that specifically identifies a backup as a veeamzip. I've followed several links that are returned to see where they lead and the data they return, but haven't quite been able to put my finger on anything in the data that would tell me, this is a veeamzip and that is not.

One thing that I did run across is that in the Type BackupFileReferenceList, there are some file names with the .vbk extension, but that by itself doesn't seem to indicate veeamzips either.
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

True, in EM REST API there is no precise way to identify whether a backup is veeamzip. You could implicitly match backup names with the naming pattern on client side, for example. Something like:

Code: Select all

if ($backup.Name -like "*_????-??-??T*") {
 $backup
}
Given the condition that only veeamzip backups have such naming convention, it should suffice.

Or you could use Powershell to query veeamzip backups right away:

$backups = Get-VBRBackup -VeeamZIP
Please note that without -VeeamZIP switch such backups are not reflected.

So if you query backups without it and then try to check whether any of them is veeamzip, this validation will always return false:

$backups = Get-VBRBackup
$backups.IsVeeamZIP()
Best regards,
Oleg