RESTful knowledge exchange
david.wagner
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: David Wagner

GET vm & disk exclusions for vCloud Backup jobs

Post by david.wagner »

Hi everybody,

I am looking for a way to GET vm and disk exclusions of "vCloud Backup" jobs as shown in the Veeam UI when editing a job in the section "Virtual Machines" via any REST API. What I could find out so far is that in the EM API the disk or vm exclusions are not returned in the job details. I also tried the VBR API, however there my backup jobs of type "vCloud Backup" are not listed at all.

Does anybody have another idea on how to GET this information?

Thank you
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Re: GET vm & disk exclusions for vCloud Backup jobs

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi David,

Long story short - there is one very unconvenient way to get vm exclusions through EM REST.

Now, in details.

First, about EM REST API. Disk exclusions are not represented in EM UI, so they are also absent in the API. As for vm exclusions,
they are actually visible (at least in v11a), but as includes of exclude type under /jobs/{id}/includes, instead of being "self-contained" or having a separate property to tell their type. It does sound counter-intuitive as in this case there is no way to differentiate includes and excludes besides knowing exactly which are the ones beforehand or deriving it from a vm name, for instance. However, I'll make sure to bring it up internally in our nearest discussion on EM REST.

With v11a in VBR REST API we support only Backup jobs of VMware vSphere type as mentioned in the API reference. For this API we still have tremendous amount of features to cover. And, though vCloud Backup jobs support is not on our top priority list for vNext, I'm sure we are adding it sooner or later.

Thanks,
Oleg
david.wagner
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: David Wagner

Post by david.wagner »

Hi Oleg

Thanks for your detailed answer.

Any help to differentiate the excludes from includes would be nice, since I don't have any other data to already know this in advance.
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

For now, since excludes are displayed under /jobs/{id}/includes only, you could send requests to both /jobs/{id}?format=Entity and /jobs/{id}/includes, parse job objects and substract those you obtained in /jobs/{id}?format=Entity from those in /jobs/{id}/includes. That's the only workaround I can think of. We did confirm it as a bug though. Thanks!