Job Includes - An error occured while parsing Entity Name

RESTful knowledge exchange

Job Includes - An error occured while parsing Entity Name

Veeam Logoby benyoung » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:09 pm

Hi All,

I am having an issue with adding a vSphere folder to an existing Job - in general this is my workflow

1) Logon to EM
2) Find the Hierarchy Root (see note below)
3) Using Lookup Service find the folder in vSphere
4) Find the job
5) Post to job includes

The Hierarchy root was giving me some issues with the lookup service at first as we have several backup servers sharing the same enterprise manager - so as an example the particular vsphere server i was trying to find/match by name was being found twice so now i am checking the //Link[@Type='BackupServerReference']/@Name is equal to the particular backup server i am wanting to target so i get the correct veeam vsphere reference. I found this issue prior with another automation task when cloning a job at the environment was finding the multiple of the same repositories in the two locations.

The issue is i get the error "An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 1, position 15."

In my development environment which is a scaled back version, single backup server same versions etc this works as expected with no errors or issues.

I have tried manually calling the hierarchy root query/job lookup/include post querys using Postman to make sure the payload i am sending via our application is correct and matches up which it does.

Any ideas?
benyoung
Service Provider
 
Posts: 36
Liked: 7 times
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 3:29 am
Full Name: Ben Young

Re: Job Includes - An error occured while parsing Entity Nam

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:46 am

May be it's just me, but from the description given it's not that clear what particular request you used that led to the mentioned error, neither are actions that were taken. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software
 
Posts: 13266
Liked: 968 times
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:28 pm
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Job Includes - An error occured while parsing Entity Nam

Veeam Logoby benyoung » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:35 pm

Ill skip the obvious login bits but

2) Find the hierarchy root using
Code: Select all
GET to BACKUPSERVER/api/hierarchyRoots?format=Entity


Find the correct node using the <HierarchyRoot node with an attribute Name= what i expect in this instance the production VC server

3) Use the lookup server to find the folder

Code: Select all
GET to ENTERPRISEMANAGER/api/lookup?host=urn:veeam:HierarchyRoot:a92XXXX-bc67-4444-823a-XXXXXXXXc&name=MyCustomerFolder&type=Folder


4) Find the job via name

Code: Select all
GET to ENTERPRISEMANAGER/api/jobs


Find the correct node using the <Ref node with an attribute Name= what i expect in this instance the backup job

5) Post to the job includes endpoint with the correct payload

Code: Select all
POST to ENTERPRISEMANAGER/api/jobs/9XXXXXXX-4607-9a3e-38269dee9393/includes

With payload below as sample
<CreateObjectInJobSpec xmlns="http://www.veeam.com/ent/v1.0" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<HierarchyObjRef>urn:VMware:Folder:a92XXXX-bc67-4444-823a-XXXXXXXXc.group-v532</HierarchyObjRef>
<HierarchyObjName>MyCustomerDailyJob</HierarchyObjName>
<Order>0</Order>
<GuestProcessingOptions></GuestProcessingOptions>
</CreateObjectInJobSpec>


Task creates ok returns the following

Code: Select all
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Task Type="Task" Href="http://ENTERPRISEMANAGER:9399/api/tasks/task-1" xmlns="http://www.veeam.com/ent/v1.0" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
    <Links>
        <Link Href="http://ENTERPRISEMANAGER:9399/api/tasks/task-1" Type="Task" Rel="Delete"/>
    </Links>
    <TaskId>task-1</TaskId>
    <State>Running</State>
    <Operation>UpdateJob</Operation>
</Task>


But errors out with

Code: Select all
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Task Type="Task" Href="http://ENTERPRISEMANAGER:9399/api/tasks/task-1" xmlns="http://www.veeam.com/ent/v1.0" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
    <Links>
        <Link Href="http://ENTERPRISEMANAGER:9399/api/tasks/task-1" Type="Task" Rel="Delete"/>
    </Links>
    <TaskId>task-1</TaskId>
    <State>Finished</State>
    <Operation>UpdateJob</Operation>
    <Result Success="false">
        <Message>An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 1, position 15.</Message>
    </Result>
</Task>
benyoung
Service Provider
 
Posts: 36
Liked: 7 times
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 3:29 am
Full Name: Ben Young

Re: Job Includes - An error occured while parsing Entity Nam

Veeam Logoby benyoung » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:56 am 1 person likes this post

FYI for future reference - this was resolved with the help of Veeam Support

Turns out there was a credential loaded with a & in the name - this was causing the parsing engine to blow up in the API when doing the includes call

Interesting we haven't seen any errors using standard backup console or any of the other tasks including the creation of jobs via the API
benyoung
Service Provider
 
Posts: 36
Liked: 7 times
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 3:29 am
Full Name: Ben Young


Return to RESTful API



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests