RESTful knowledge exchange
costas
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Costas Loupas

Some API questions

Post by costas » 1 person likes this post

Hi all
I am new to Veeam and struggling a bit with some of the concepts and how actually Veeam is used out in the field.
As far as I can tell, Veeam has 2 REST API's: Enterprise Manager and Backup Server
I plan to do some integration work with Veeam, both API's seem to offer what i want to do, how do i choose?
I am under the impression that EM is extra and only useful for customers with more than one backup server. Is this correct? Would it be safer to develop against the Backup REST API as this will be present in every Veeam deployment?
I am trying things out with the EM API but i can not find a way to get to the 'Job Log' (EM->Jobs->Click on job status->Click Details->Popup with activities log). The popup uses what it looks like a EM REST API end point (although the port number is not the same as the EM API and the reference guide does not show it as an endpoint):
https://server:9443/api/Reports/BackupJ ... 0&limit=25
Any ideas on how to get to it? Does the Backup Server API offer this option?

Many Thanks
Costas
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Re: Some API questions

Post by oleg.feoktistov » 1 person likes this post

Hi Costas,

Your assumption is correct. EM REST API is more about managing multiple distributed VBRs and is a representation of what Enterprise Manager is capable of, whereas VBR REST API is about handling a single VBR in detail, so to say. You still can manage a single backup server with EM REST API, but if you need more of a VBR interface and functionality experience, VBR REST API it is. This API is still very limited (first implementation released with v11), yet modern in terms of a framework and client support. It comes in handy, for instance, if you want to generate a client on Javascript, C#, Python etc and build integrations based on it. Also, we plan to cover more VBR features in VBR REST API with every release.

Now, about your job logs question in EM REST. It is not covered, unfortunately. These session logs are now available only in VBR REST API (no task sessions though). Please, see this guide. Let me know if you have any other questions about any of these APIs.

Best regards,
Oleg
costas
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Costas Loupas

Post by costas » 1 person likes this post

Hi Oleg

Many thanks for you response, it makes things clearer and trickier. The VBR API provides the functionality but many people may not be on the latest version and on the other hand the EM API does not have the required functionality and maybe it is not used by people with a single VBR.

Thanks
Costas
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov » 1 person likes this post

Well, the idea behind EM REST API was to implement the most frequently used methods for multi-VBR environment management in correlation with the EM UI. Some people might use it for single-VBR environments if it fits their needs, but you won't see there management options for a single backup server represented as granularly as in VBR REST.
And yes, VBR REST API is new, limited and requires v11, but we had to start somewhere, right? :wink: