Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
nathano
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Nathan Oldfield

after v10 upgrade - Error: Unable to process host because license limit has been exceeded

Post by nathano »

I've upgraded to v10 and updating the win agents to v4, just tried to do a backup of one of the agents once updated and got this error

19/02/2020 20:18:20 :: Error: Unable to process host because license limit has been exceeded

License info shows 6 Instances (1 used)

Haven't rebooted the VBR after the upgrade and perhaps that the problem as suggested here (physical-cloud-f49/u4-veeam-agent-for-m ... 56625.html)

The upgrade process did not prompt to reboot and everything else seems to work fine so far, will reboot the VBR as soon as I can and test again.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: after v10 upgrade - Error: Unable to process host because license limit has been exceeded

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Nathan,

Can you please raise the support ticket and send me the case ID, I'll ask QA team to take a look at the debug logs. Cheers!
nathano
Expert

Re: after v10 upgrade - Error: Unable to process host because license limit has been exceeded

Post by nathano »

Thanks Dima, case 04013213 just logged.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Thank you! Asked QA folks to review the case details.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Post by Gostev »

I will guess here that you are using this agent to protect a VMware or Hyper-V VM. v10 enforces the existing licensing policy that in presence of a socket license, vSphere and Hyper-V VM protection will use sockets, regardless of whether you leverage host-based or agent-based job. Please review the Licensing section of the What's New document for more information.

My recommendation would to convert your sockets to VUL. This can be done at no extra costs (your regular sockets renewal price).
nathano
Expert

Post by nathano »

You would have guessed correctly Gostev.. can't believe I missed that.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

No problems! I tried to cover all the bases with mentions both on the first page of the Release Notes documents as well as in the upgrade check list, but hey - I've done blind upgrades many times myself too, only reading the change log later :D

As far as VUL conversion, the default ratio is 7:1 for everyone - so if your VM per socket density is lower than that, then you will actually get some "free" instances that you will be able to use for other workloads. And if your density is higher than that, then we will provide the matching number of VULs to cover all your VMs regardless of how high the density is.
nathano
Expert

Post by nathano »

I read the conversion from socket to VUL can only be done at a renewal? Unfortunately that’s not ideal in this scenario.
naser
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ali Nasredde

Post by naser »

I had the same issue and all what i get from the support is :

"Are you using an Instance license to protect some of your vSphere or Hyper-V VMs with agent-basedbackup jobs in presence of a Socket license? As an enforcement of the existing licensing policy, hosts where such VMs are running will require and consume Socket licenses with v10. This may result in your agent-based backup jobs failing after the upgrade due to insufficient Socket licenses"

my veeam agent license wont work unless i revoke one of my hypervisor socket license !
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

nathano wrote: Feb 20, 2020 10:01 pm I read the conversion from socket to VUL can only be done at a renewal? Unfortunately that’s not ideal in this scenario.
You can renew at any time. The rest of your current socket contract will also be converted to VUL + you will get additional years of VUL at your current socket renewal price.

Another option is to simply go back to the previous release, as it will be supported for at least 3 more years due to the fact that we dropped support for many legacy platforms in v10.
nathano
Expert

Post by nathano » 1 person likes this post

In this case I was able to recover the required sockets from another host and got this sorted.. Thanks for your responses and see you at VeemOn!
magnun.scheffer
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Magnun Scheffer

Post by magnun.scheffer »

@gostev about this information "Another option is to simply go back to the previous release, as it will be supported for at least 3 more years due to the fact that we dropped support for many legacy platforms in v10." I'm a partner and have a costumer with maybe will stay with v 9, but he saw on life cycle docs https://www.veeam.com/releasestatus_rn.pdf says "End of Support:January 2022".

Do you have any doc with this information about 3 years of support to v 9.5?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Magnun,

The data in the document you have linked is actual. You can find more information on what defines fixes and support services in the Product Lifecycle section of our Support Policy.

Thanks