Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
DennisMcD
Lurker
Liked: never

Backing up constant-recording DVR - Windows Hyper-V

Post by DennisMcD »

Good morning! I'm looking for opinions on best practices for backing up a DVR or security camera server. Specifically, I have a (Hyper-V guest) Windows server running software that pulls RTSP streams from several dozen cameras. The server fills up, then just starts overwriting the video streams in chunks, so we always have a rotating cache of 14-ish days of video. The issue is that the backups are not super efficient since each run has so many changed blocks so it's slow, uses a ton of space on the backup store, and often gets stuck in the process of either creating the synthetic full or removing the now-deleted block from the backup. Is there a better way than just taking a full every few days and only keeping 2-3 on-disk? I'm looking to possibly move towards the use of Hyper-V Snapshot replicas and enable Hyper-V on the Veeam server to host this VM, but wanted to hear if anyone had any caveats in using this strategy on such a system. Thank you!

PS: This camera system monitors sensitive areas of a law enforcement building so I really want to not be on the news for missing footage when that server dies randomly, so having more frequent backups are really an important goal here.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Backing up constant-recording DVR - Windows Hyper-V

Post by Gostev »

Hello, I highly recommend you deploy a hardened repository to ensure this important data is immutable and protected from cyber attacks. This will also solve your other issue and stop worrying about those periodic fulls eating up space, thanks to block cloning synthetic fulls on XFS not consuming physical disk space. Thanks!