Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
JLE2x20
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: J.Lemke

Backing up some Remote Servers - Best Practice ?

Post by JLE2x20 »

Hello, everybody,

we want to backup some Linux servers on the Internet. The servers are located at different providers. The providers do not offer direct interfaces for Veeam. We do not want to create firewall shares so that the servers on the Internet can reach our backup server in the internal network. Is there a possibility that Veeam can make backups directly via SFTP?

Additionally I would be interested to know how other companies do this?

Is it normal that you make your backup server accessible from the outside so that the agents on the servers can access the backup server?
Many greetings!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Backing up some Remote Servers - Best Practice ?

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Greetings.
With low number of sites\machines it is easier to go with site-to-site or point-to-site VPN over to your VBR server(like VeeamPN).
Going into scale, Veeam Cloud Connect(service provider option) or Veeam Cloud Connect for Enterprise(end user business option) are the best ways to go.
/Cheers!
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Re: Backing up some Remote Servers - Best Practice ?

Post by dalbertson »

JLE2x20 wrote: Feb 19, 2020 12:46 pm Hello, everybody,

we want to backup some Linux servers on the Internet. The servers are located at different providers. The providers do not offer direct interfaces for Veeam. We do not want to create firewall shares so that the servers on the Internet can reach our backup server in the internal network. Is there a possibility that Veeam can make backups directly via SFTP?

Additionally I would be interested to know how other companies do this?

Is it normal that you make your backup server accessible from the outside so that the agents on the servers can access the backup server?
Many greetings!
I agree with Egor, is there a reason why you couldnt use VPN (or VeeamPN) to establish connectivity to these sites and then perform backup across the VPN? Otherwise you could add a firewall rule to just allow the required ports from the IP of the veeam server to allow backup across the internet. Though i would much prefer the VPN approach.

And like Egor mentioned there is always the cloud connect enterprise option where you can become your own provider, but if its just a few machines i would again choose the VPN option.
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances