Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
Kysato
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rob Tisdale

backup creates local files on source server

Post by Kysato »

support case #04950564

I have a backup job that runs successfully, though it seems to leave files on the server that is being backed up. from what I can see it creates a folder structure based on the year, then folders based on the month, then day ie. C:\backup {Name}\2021\8\7
backup is pointed to a repository on a NAS, which appears to be working just fine.
the problem is that it is not cleaning up these files off the source server and after a couple days the server drive is full and that leads to not so great times.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: backup creates local files on source server

Post by PTide »

Hi,
though it seems to leave files on the server that is being backed up
What files? .VBKs/.VIBs, or something else?
backup is pointed to a repository on a NAS, which appears to be working just fine.
That is, backup files appear on NAS and can be used for restores just fine, right?

Thanks!
Kysato
Novice

Post by Kysato »

inside the folder structure created on the source server, there is a zip file along with an INFO file(nothing noteworthy inside the INFO file that I could make sense of). if this is not being left by Veeam, then I have another cook in the kitchen. I moved the time of the Veeam backup to earlier in the night and will see if this still gets created. It may have been coincidence that if this is another backup someone has created, that it is running at the same time as the Veeam job.

Yes the proper .vib and .vbk files are created on the NAS. Backup does complete successfully, until the drive fills up with whatever the other files are.

I will post the results of what I see tonight. I did not keep a copy of the ZIP files or INFO, but I will grab a copy of it in case there is something inside that will help narrow this down.

thank you for your time!
Rob
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Does the dates in the structure match Veeam backup jobs' star times?
but I will grab a copy of it in case there is something inside that will help narrow this down
Good idea. Please share the sample, if possible.

Thanks!
Kysato
Novice

Post by Kysato » 2 people like this post

I finally tracked down the source, not veeam at all. but a 3rd party support for the software running on the server. they will be removing their backup they have running and I expect everything to be super smooth after thats done.