Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
Georg999
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

Backup from a unstable slow location physical Server

Post by Georg999 »

Hello,

I want to back up a physical server from a location with a very slow internet connection and unstable power supply. The server has power for a maximum of 10 hours at a time and the line does not give more than 2MBit. A full backup theoretically takes about 100 hours.
I have now connected a USB-HD to the server and set up an agent job with the USB-HD (Local Folder) as the target. This works so far. Only I want to have the backup in the repository at the main site.
Now my idea would be to courier the USB-HD to the main site and import the backup and then create an incremental job based on that backup.
How can I do that or is there another way, e.g. to do the full backup bit by bit over several sessions and days.

I used to have a backup running, but due to a server change I need a new full backup. In the future I would only create synthetic backups that would work with the current situation.

There is no way to increase the bandwidth or get the power grid more stable. This is prevented by the local government.

Thanks
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Re: Backup from a unstable slow location physical Server

Post by chris.childerhose » 2 people like this post

You can import the backups if you did a full backup to the USB drive and then bring that to your central VBR server. Once imported, you could create a backup job of the server and map it to the imported backup so it will do an incremental at the next run. This should work, but depending on the change rate per day, if minimal, you will get the backup completed, but if more considerable, the line rate may prohibit the full backup completion.
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2275 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 2 people like this post

Hi Georg

Please have a look at this kb article scenario 1. It describes on how to use a temporary usb disk to do the initial full backup and then transfer the backup to a Veeam backup repository. You can use the map backup feature to map the job to the migrated backup files.

https://www.veeam.com/kb2321
The server has power for a maximum of 10 hours at a time and the line does not give more than 2MBit. A full backup theoretically takes about 100 hours.
The next Job Run should reuse already uploaded blocks. Do you use Veeam Agent for Windows or Linux?
I used to have a backup running, but due to a server change I need a new full backup. In the future I would only create synthetic backups that would work with the current situation.
Each time you change the disk layout, a new full backup is required for that disk. Synthetic full wouldn't help in that case.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Georg999
Influencer

Post by Georg999 »

Hi,

thanks for your info. I'll try that, it only takes a few days. Veeam Agent runs on Windows
I will then report the result.

Thanks
Georg
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

You're welcome.
Let me know how it worked out :)
Georg999
Influencer

Post by Georg999 »

Hi

I've recreated it on a test system. I get to the point "Map Backup". My imported backup does not appear in the list.
In the backups I see it as "imported". The rescan of the backup repositories has run.

Thanks for your help
Georg
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Georg

I‘m sorry to hear that. I‘ll test the process in my lab and let you know if it works for me or not.

Thanks
Fabian