Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
daw_idee
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: D.G.

Backup Methodology Oracle 11.2 on Windows Failover Cluster

Post by daw_idee »

Hello,
we have two physical windows 2012 servers failover cluster with Oracle Database 11.2, now the backup is configured with RMAN to a share.
I see from the wiki that there are mainly two methods of backup that we can do, With the Agent for Windows or With the Plugin for RMAN (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110) in this scenario what is the best practice to backup this DB?
thanks a lot
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Backup Methodology Oracle 11.2 on Windows Failover Cluster

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

I'd opt for the RMAN plug-in as it provides more flexibility for protection of Oracle databases, including backup copy to stick with 3-2-1 strategy and Capacity Tier offload. However, Veeam Agent for Windows is a perfect tool for image-level backups of physical cluster nodes. You can use both options: in case of necessity to recover database you will have RMAN backups, if a node is down, you'll be able to restore it from agent backup.

Thanks!
daw_idee
Enthusiast

Post by daw_idee »

Crystal clear!
In the case we want to implement both methods we need to install agent + plugin on both nodes:
For agent backup I think we need to follow this guide: https://www.veeam.com/kb2463
For the plugin backup is not clear how we can manage the procedure on both nodes in case of cluster switch, there is some documentation or can you give us some advices?
thanks!
daw_idee
Enthusiast

Post by daw_idee »

in this scenario where two backups needs to be made (I assume that we need the double of the space available in the repo) we need to configure the coexistence between the two methods, how can we accomplish this? we need to do an application aware backup with the agent and backup logs periodically an configure the RMAN in a period when the agent backup is not running?
thanks
PetrM
Veeam Software

Hello,

Well, I recommend to disable log processing in image-level job and let RMAN to take care of archived logs. You can follow the instructions from the KB above but also disable log backup schedule and select "Do not delete archived logs" in this step of job configuration wizard. It's definitely true that it's worth making sure that image-level backup and RMAN backup jobs do not overlap. Speaking about nodes switchover, I suggest to use the same customServerName on both nodes so that Veeam B&R can identify the cluster as a single entity and not as different independent servers.

Thanks!
daw_idee
Enthusiast

Post by daw_idee »

Thank for your response.
speaking about to don't overlap backups jobs, i've read in this page that "If you use Veeam Backup & Replication or Veeam Agents to create image-level backups of the Oracle server, you can schedule the backup job and run Oracle RMAN backup scripts along with the backup job." do you suggest to add the script post or pre the image backup job?
PetrM
Veeam Software

Honestly, I don't see a difference between pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts with regard to RMAN scripts but I'd run it separately anyway, these two tasks have different purposes and I don't see a reason to mix them. You can leverage backup window functionality ("Terminate job if it exceeds allowed backup window") to make sure that your scripts are executed when the job is not running.

By the way, in future releases we'll deliver a feature especially for RMAN orchestration from Veeam B&R server.

Thanks!
daw_idee
Enthusiast

Post by daw_idee » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for the tip, we'll do separately and set the backup windows to be sure that the two methods don't overlap.
we are thinking of backing up only the local disks with the agent and the db that sits on a cluster disk with the plugin for rman, in this way we don't overconsume the repository space doubling the required space for the backup, do you think that it can be a proper way to be protected in both cases we spoke before?
PetrM
Veeam Software

Hello,

Yes, I think it's a very good idea which has an obvious advantage that you save repository space.

Thanks!
daw_idee
Enthusiast

Post by daw_idee »

Perfect,i've read the plugin guide and it seems that when the rman command will be issued, there is not need to have temporary space on the host because the plugin will transfer immediately to the repo, is this correct? thanks
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Yes, that is correct as the default device type is changed to SBT_TAPE.

Thanks!