Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
mark1117
Novice
Liked: 1 time

can use veeam explorer for oracle restore the database of same major version to one target server

Post by mark1117 »

Hi,
In my environment, there are many oracle databases of the same major version,i use rman plugin to backup everything is fine.For recovery testing purposes i need to restore the database to another server,my question is whether I need to install multiple target servers even if the oracle database of the same major version?(such as 19.3/19.16/19.18)
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: can use veeam explorer for oracle restore the database of same major version to one target server

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I need to have some time to check this scenario. I'll update the topic as soon as I have more details.

Thanks!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: can use veeam explorer for oracle restore the database of same major version to one target server

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

In theory, this scenario can work and I'm 99 % sure that it will work without any issues. However, we don't have official support for this scenario because we did not test all possible combinations of Oracle versions, thus we cannot guarantee stable functioning. The reason is that we use the OCI library to connect to an Oracle environment and we don't know whether a library that worked fine with an Oracle home on source will successfully work with another Oracle home of a different version on target.

For example, we don't support officially different Oracle home versions (even minor) on the same server. We have experimental support for Windows and will have full support for Linux-based VMs and RMAN plug-in in one of our next updates.

If I were you, I'd set up a single server and try different restores. If it works, you can keep it as it is, if not, you may install multiple servers.

Thanks!
mark1117
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by mark1117 » 1 person likes this post

Thank you for your reply, I'm doing the corresponding test. Using the Oracle19.20 version to restore the 19.3 and 19.16 and everything is OK.