Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
SachmoNZ
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Sachiv Mehra

Cloud Connect Data Transfer Concern

Post by SachmoNZ »

Hi,

I think I know the answer to this but hoping some form of efficiency/technology built into Veeam will help overcome the issue of copying synthetic fulls to VCC.

We are wanting to use Cloud Connect to provide temporary relief for offsite backups whilst our secondary site is offline due to a relocation which will likely drag on due to Covid-19. Data to our secondary site is replicated using Mtree replication, not Veeam Copy Jobs.

Scenario (As seen from the Files view in VBR Console - note storage in the back end is Data Domain)
Backup Job resides on a Data Domain
We backup Monday - Saturday (inclusive)
Synthetic full created every Saturday
Every Sunday we perform backup files health check)
----------
Server Name Backup Day File Type Size Comment
File Server 1 Day 1 VBK 2.9TB
File Server 1 Day 2 Vib 40GB
File Server 1 Day 3 Vib 40GB
File Server 1 Day 4 Vib 40GB
File Server 1 Day 5 Vib 40GB
File Server 1 Day 6 vbk 2.9TB <- Weekly Synthetic Full
File Server 1 Day 7 vib 40GB
File Server 1 Day 8 vib 40GB
File Server 1 Day 9 vib 40GB

Questions/Guidance Sought
1. Based on this scenario if we retain 9 days worth in Veeam Cloud Connect on the 6th Day will we have to re-upload 2.9TB or the smarts within VCC will reduce/discard most of that? We do have the option of Veeam Wan Acceleration from us to the provider.
2. If we are using weekly health checks do we need to bother with synthetic fulls?
3. Guessing not having the synthetic full sent to the cloud from a cost perspective isn't the best (not a question about the pain of transmitting the data, more the storage bill from the provider).

Thanks in advance.
Cheers
SachmoNZ
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Cloud Connect Data Transfer Concern

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
1. No. The backup copy job is "incremental forever" to the cloud connect provider (default setting)

2. you need synthetic fulls because you use data domain as backup repository. but health check is usually a thing that is done internally on deduplication boxes.

3. well, that depends on the cloud connect provider. If the use REFS / XFS, then the synthetic fulls do not cost real disk space due to block cloning. But yes, in many situations you will not do synthetic fulls for VCC.

Best regards,
Hannes
SachmoNZ
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Sachiv Mehra

Post by SachmoNZ »

Hi Hannes,

1. Ok thanks so it will just take the changes for the 6th day and upload them only even though on premise we'll have that 2.9TB file created again on the DD.
2. We only retain the restore points for these backups for daily backups for 35 days do we really need to do the synthetic full. I'm not sure why it was set up this way (or intent) but I am guessing they didn't want to hit some kind of limit on restore points based on increments whilst using DD?
3. Hah yes that's true however this VCC provider charges for front end copied vs back end.

Oh and thank you for the quick response, much appreciated in such strange times.
Cheers
SachmoNZ
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,

2. yes, it's to avoid any limitations. Weekly synthetic full is the best practice for most situations.

welcome - nothing changed for me - I always work from home ;-)

Best regards,
Hannes