Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
Boris S
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Boris S

Creating New Backup in Protection Group Issue

Post by Boris S »

Hello ppl!

I'm having some issues as already mentioned in the subject.

The goal is to add servers to the protection group which have pre-installed agents and create an backup job.

The flow was the following:

1. create in physical infrastructure protection group with "Computers with pre-installed agents"
2. the agent was taken out of the folder after the creation protection group and installed with all things needed (found in the usual readme.txt file)
3. run cmd on the client as admin with following command: "C:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup\Veeam.Agent.Configurator.exe" -setVBRsettings /p:"C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Endpoint\!Configuration\my file from the protection group folder.xml" the file was copied to !configuration folder already. This pretty much works out and the server appears in Veeam B&R protection group.
4. Right click on the protection group -- > add to backup job --> Windows --> New job - -> Type: server, Mode: Managed by backup server --> name it --> Now i get the window with the Protected computers: my protected group is already in the list and as i click on next no matter if i select my protection group or leave it as is, i keep on getting following alert: "Unable to process hosts from this protection group type in jobs managed by backup server".

Additionally in the Physical Infrastrucutre i have also an "folder" called "Out of Date" with the server inside that i just added in. Basically this is the only one since i am about to create the whole thing.

Agent version: 5.0.1.4584
Driver Version: Veeam Volume CT Driver (10.0.0.5015) (previously no drivier was available if i check the agent via Veeam B&R so i installed it via Server with command - installcbtdriver which worked out)

What am i doing wrong? Why am i not able to create the backup job? Am i missing some rights to do that? Ports? Any logs where i can check it? via firewall is all open and i made sure it is open. According to the firewall logs no drops.

Many thanks in advance!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2880 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Creating New Backup in Protection Group Issue

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
"Unable to process hosts from this protection group type in jobs managed by backup server
that's because "managed by agent" must be used ;-)

Best regards,
Hannes
Boris S
Novice

Post by Boris S »

Hello Hannes,

Thanks first of all!

OK, i'm confused right now because that is something i also tried yesterday but it did not make any sense to me as the aim is to manage it via B&R. Ok, it works, but hmm. So, even choosing "managed by agent" will get managed by B&R centrally?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2880 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
it depends how "managed by B&R centrally" is defined. I would answer the question with "yes", because everything is visible in B&R.

If you want "full management" including deployment, central start / stop buttons, then a different protection group type would be the way to go. The other types allow "managed by server" including deployment etc.

My suggestion is to try out both and see what meets best your requirements. Both have pros and cons.

Best regards,
Hannes
Boris S
Novice

Post by Boris S »

I think it is way to go as i see it. Dunno how to choose the full.

Anyways: the answer from you works pretty well but... :)

When i create the backup and start it, it just starts and stops and no errors. But the backup has not been made. Last result and next result has N\A state.
Found some more information:
veeam skipping host: pre-installed agents do not support receiving commands from the backup server

Do you know more about it?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

veeam skipping host: pre-installed agents do not support receiving commands from the backup server
It's expected behavior. For protection groups with pre-installed agents the connection between Veeam B&R server and the backup agent is a one way direction - Veeam B&R never connects to the agent, instead agent connects to the Veeam B&R to receive new license / update job settings etc. For such deployment it's not possible to send any command from Veeam B&R to the agent side, thus backup now/start/stop commands does not work.
dalemcdonald
Lurker
Full Name: Dale McDonald

Post by dalemcdonald »

Hello

I am new to Veeam R&D and trying to set up a backup method to suit the following for our company.

One pc with R&D on to control the backup schedule for over 140 workstations that will back up to various NAS storage devices.

I have installed it on one and done the below but getting the error 'Warning Skipping host: pre-installed agents do not support receiving commands from the backup server'

1. Installed R&D on a local pc connected to the same network as the NAS and the PC's to backup.
2. Created a protection group with 'Computers with Pre-installed agents' and then installed it onto the client PC (the CBT wont install on windows 10?)
3. Once I import the XML file and it registers to the R&D i have created a backup job
4. I have tried both 'Workstation' and 'Server', Added the computer and selected Entire Computer and configured the schedule.
5. Selected the Veeam Backup Repository which i have set up as the NAS and entered the credentials needed.
6. It then asked for the backup server address which i have been leaving as it populates itself as the pc R&D is installed on.
7.After going through the other settings, the configuration is ok but when i run an active full i get the error '05/05/2023 20:18:16 Warning Skipping host: pre-installed agents do not support receiving commands from the backup server '

Can you please advise where i am going wrong and if so what steps you would take.

Ideally we will have one computer that controls all of the scheduling as different pcs connect to different NAS drive dependant on the dept. Then i can set up all the PC's into groups and link the with different repositories and monitor and be able to restore from there.
chriswong17
Novice
Full Name: Chris Wong

Post by chriswong17 »

I still shown this warning message:

Warning Skipping host: pre-installed agents do not support receiving commands from the backup server.