Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
FrancoisG
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Francois Grosbellet

Deleting

Post by FrancoisG »

Hi, I'm using Veeam to backup data from a Windows server on a Qnap Nas.

Here is what the folders look like.

Code: Select all

Main_backup_folder
	|__Backuping_SERVERNAME_Volumes (1)
	|__@Recycle
		|__Backuping_SERVERNAME_Volumes (2)
Backuping_SERVERNAME_Volumes (1)
Contains:
  • 1 .vbk file
  • 7 .vib files (7 days backup retention)
  • 1 .vbm file
Backuping_SERVERNAME_Volumes (2)
Contains:
  • A lot of .vib files
  • A lot of .vbm[***] files (* being digits)
The @recycle folder is the network bin on Qnap systems, so all those files has been deleted.

I have two questions:
  1. As Backuping_SERVERNAME_Volumes (2) folder is quite heavy (several TB), I would like a confirmation that I can permanently delete all those files without taking any risks for my backup integrity.
  2. The main .vbk file in Backuping_SERVERNAME_Volumes (1) is several TB heavier than the total amont of my data. I have archived several projects less than seven days ago, so I assume this is the reason why. Is there moments when this is relevant to start again from a clean and new backup (for exemple after deleting a large amount of data several times)? I assume that this is not the case, and that after the retention period, the main .vbk will sheds weight, but i'm quite new to how Veeam works.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Deleting

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Francois,
FrancoisG wrote:As Backuping_SERVERNAME_Volumes (2) folder is quite heavy (several TB), I would like a confirmation that I can permanently delete all those files without taking any risks for my backup integrity.
Assuming that these files residing in the QNAP recycle bin have nothing to do with the current backup chain as our agent considers these files as deleted (not present), then you can remove these files.
FrancoisG wrote:The main .vbk file in Backuping_SERVERNAME_Volumes (1) is several TB heavier than the total amont of my data. I have archived several projects less than seven days ago, so I assume this is the reason why. Is there moments when this is relevant to start again from a clean and new backup (for exemple after deleting a large amount of data several times)? I assume that this is not the case, and that after the retention period, the main .vbk will sheds weight, but i'm quite new to how Veeam works.
Depending on your job configuration, whether you're running active fulls or not, you might want to enable this option to wipe out the unused blocks from the backup file.

Thanks!
FrancoisG
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Francois Grosbellet

Re: Deleting

Post by FrancoisG »

Thank you, I have set the option that deletes unused blocks periodically.