Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
isusko
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Isusko Sallen Latatu

Doubts with scheduled jobs and full backups

Post by isusko »

Good afternoon everyone,

I have a Veeam B&R server with several jobs configured. When editing the job in Edit -> Storage -> Advanced I can configure to create a full backup periodically, let's say every saturday of every week of the month, such as the image below:

But in the Schedule tab Edit -> Schedule I can also configure the schedule of the jobs and let's say I don't want any synthetic backup, just the full backups periodically as it shows:

So my question is, even if in the "Next Run" section shows <Not Scheduled>, will the periodical full backup be done? At what time? If not, is there any other option to make just full backups automatically and periodically?

And last question, what if I have scheduled jobs from monday to friday at 17:00, but I want to make full backups on saturdays as stated before? Should I tag the saturday as a backup day or should I leave it untagged?

Thank you in advance and sorry for so many questions at the same time.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Doubts with scheduled jobs and full backups

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
I moved your question from the Hyper-V forum to the agents forum. If you are backing up VMs, I recommend doing VM-based backup instead of agent-based backup.

As you unchecked synthetic full backups, you will never get synthetic full backups (independent from the schedule).

Without schedule, the backup job will never run automatically. I don't know what your use-case is (sounds like a waste of disk space only doing full backups), but if you only schedule to "every Saturday", then you only get a full backup every Saturday.

Last question: the job must be scheduled to run on Saturday to create an active full on Saturday.

Best regards,
Hannes
isusko
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Isusko Sallen Latatu

Post by isusko »

Thank you for the quick reply Mr. Kasparick and thanks for moving the thread. Due to a small but very complex infrastructure I have to make backups of two virtual machines and its host, the Hyper-V server.

I know I won't get any synthetic backups, instead I just want to have full backups. Disk space is not even a little problem in this scenario.

Thank you for all your answers, they are useful for me but I got a last one.

Let's say I have scheduled jobs from monday to friday at 17:00, but due to network traffic and backup times, I need to make the full backup on sundays at a different time. Is there an option that I miss to configure the full backup time independently from the scheduled one? Let's say at 20:00. Or maybe should I just create another job?

Best,
Isusko
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
it's possible, while a little bit hidden :-)

that is possible the following way
- schedule the backup job to run periodically every hour
- disallow the backup job to run at all times
- allow the backup job to run at the times needed.

In the end, it looks like this

Best regards,
Hannes