Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
micoolpaul
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Michael Paul

Feature Request: Application-Aware Processing Per Database

Post by micoolpaul »

Hi,

A (hopefully) small feature request here. It would be great to configure AAP per application. For example, I have a customer that has a couple of black box style MySQL instances that can't be touched by Veeam due to contractual compliance, but the box also runs Postgres. I have to configure the job to run as attempt AAP and ignore failures currently, so it will fail MySQL but successfully process Postgres. However, this doesn't guarantee the successful running of the Postgres integration, introducing risk that the backups aren't transactionally consistent for the Postgre databases that the customer cares about being backed up.

The ability to opt in/out of applications at a granular level would be useful in such scenarios.
-------------
Michael Paul
Veeam Legend | Veeam Certified Architect | Veeam Vanguard
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Feature Request: Application-Aware Processing Per Database

Post by PetrM »

Hi Michael,

The idea itself to perform AAIP per application could be useful but definitely it's not a small feature request. This functionality will certainly require a significant amount of engineering resources. However, I'm not sure that I understand what exactly fails with MySQL in your case, what exactly makes you configure a job to ignore failures?

Thanks!
micoolpaul
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Michael Paul

Post by micoolpaul »

Figured it might not be!

So the error happens that the mysql libraries required for MySQL processing aren’t installed, but these aren’t installed as we can’t get any permissions to the mysql database to interact with it due to third party software supplier being the one and only allowed backend database access. By setting the job to ignore AAP failures I see a behaviour whereby the mysql processing fails as expected, but it carries on to try the Postgres integration and that works successfully, then proceeding to backup the server. But the risk is that it Postgres integration started failing, the job is set to ignore failures in AAP, therefore every job run needs to be validated that Postgres AAP was successful.
-------------
Michael Paul
Veeam Legend | Veeam Certified Architect | Veeam Vanguard
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Michael,

At the moment, my only recommendation would be to figure out with the third-party supplier how to get the required permissions for MySQL processing. I think your request makes sense: for example, we can try to make an option to disable AAIP for a specific application. But I cannot give any information about ETA at the moment.

Thanks!