Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
FTL
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

File Explorer Gui for file level backup in B&R Console

Post by FTL »

Hi,

I currently use the Agent installed locally to backup 5 pyhsical servers at file level as it offers the GUI to exclude files and folders which i dont want included in the image.

However its slighly tiresome managign 5 seperate jobs and getting 5 seperate email notifications.

Can i manage all 5 agents from the console if i install it and have 1 backup job from the console of all 5 agents - but still have the gui to exclude files/folders as ive looked and can only see manual typed entries for exclusions which would be even more cumbersome than managing 5 seperaet agents

Thanks
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: File Explorer Gui for file level backup in B&R Console

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi FTL,
File and Folder exclusion rules are global for all machines within the Backup Job. Exclusions are skipped if path is not available, so you can combine existing exclusions lists from 5 machines and apply summary list to that single backup job. If you really want to skip FolderX(that exists on several servers) from being processed only on one server, you will have to create a separate job for it.
/Thanks!
FTL
Enthusiast

Post by FTL »

Thankyou Egor.

So what would be the best way to go about this scenario please?
Looking to be able to BMR if required

Server 1 - ok im actually happy to do entire computer backup for this one
Server 2 - OS/EFI etc + C Drive + D Drive - is has an S drive which is an ISCSI target to a NAS which i do not want included!
Server 3 - OS/EFI etc + C Drive, i dont want the D drive of this one as its a DFS of Server 2 which is included
Server 4 - OS/EFI etc + C Drive + Certain folders on an L drive but i dont want the whole L drive, and it has a D Drive which i dont want either!
Server 5 - OS/EFI etc + C Drive, has a D drive which i dont want
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Correct, all 5 in same job could not be achieved due to different backup modes - you will need 2 jobs.
Job 1: S1,S2,S3,S4,S5 - Volume level backup - [x] Operating system, [x] Following Volumes: D:\. With that setting each server will have Recovery\Boot partitions backed up as well as C: and D: drives where available. S: drive will not be protected.
Job 2: S4 - File Level backup - [x] The following objects L:\ and set exclusions the way you like.
/Cheers!
FTL
Enthusiast

Post by FTL »

sorry was obviously editing my post while you were writing yours

Ok so from reading your above description i gather im actually going to need 4 jobs then:

Job 1 - S1 - entire computer
Job 2 - S2 - volume level c + d
Job 3 - S3,S5 - volume level c
Job 4 - S4 - File Level c + l exclusions
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Now that you added actual disk layout, You can also group S3, S4 and S5 in a same File-Level backup job with settings: [x] Operating System + [x] Following objects: L with exclusions. Since L: is not present in S3 and S5 it will be backed up only from S4, whereas C: and Boot partitions will be protected on all 3(its called Hybrid File-level backup, containing both Volumes and Files). That will yield just 3 jobs.
You never mentioned S1 disk configuration, so it might be also merge-able with others as well...
/Cheers!
FTL
Enthusiast

Post by FTL »

Good Morning Egor

Ok i think i understand now

Full disk layouts are as follows (if i have put an (x) by it it means i dont want that volume in the backup)

S1 - C
S2 - C , D , S (x)
S3 - C , D
S4 - C , D (x) , L (folder exceptions) , M (x)
S5 - C , D (x) , Q (x)

So i could do

Job1 - S1,S2,S3
Job2 - S4, S5

And do the hybrid option for Job2 of file level but selecting whole volume then removing elements from L

Many Thanks
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Exactly! Glad to help.
/Cheers!