Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
Moopere
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Moopere

File-Level backups - no defrag/compact?

Post by Moopere »

I've been struggling with a problem I only noticed a couple of weeks ago. I usually configure jobs with a health check once a week followed by a compact/defrag once a week also. For years this has worked as expected ... or so I thought.

I can't seem to get file-level jobs to do a defrag/compact despite having chosen the option in job settings. I can see the log reports the transform of incremental backups, does the health check, then ... nothing, the job just finishes.

I only noticed this because the backup files has been growing and growing and never seems to get any smaller. I did a mass archive on the source recently which halved the space required, yet the backup file is larger than ever.

Given that the Veeam docs don't seem to mention a lack of this functionality with file-level backups combined with the fact that the job settings allow you to set this, I must be doing something wrong as it seems impossible for me to compact/defrag file-level backups ... and I have more than one.

I do, for now, have a synthetic backup getting done once a week as a work-around, the nature of the issue reported here was happening when I wasn't doing active fulls or synthetics though so its not that.

Any ideas?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2896 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: File-Level backups - no defrag/compact?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
file-level jobs to do a defrag/compact
could you maybe tell us what type of job that is? Because file-level backups don't have synthetic or active fulls. Neither "file copy jobs" nor "nas backup jobs"

Or is it about Veeam Agent for Windows / Linux file-based backup job? If yes, what's the support case number for the problem you saw?

Best regards,
Hannes
Moopere
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Moopere

Post by Moopere »

Agent Backup Job [V11 VBR]

Backup Mode: File Level Backup (slower)
Objects: path to the files which are to be backed up
Storage -> Advanced: Backup Tab -> Synthetic and Active Full are not selected. Maintenance Tab: Storage-level corruption guard: selected, on Saturday. Remove deleted items after: 1 days, Defragment and compact full backup file: weekly on Saturday

I see the incremental get transformed into the full, see the health check happen, then thats it. No defrag seems to ever get done.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2896 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
okay, I moved your question to the "servers & workstations" forum, which is for agents.
No defrag seems to ever get done.
that sounds like a technical issue. Please provide a support case ID for this issue, as requested when you click New Topic.

Thanks,
Hannes