Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
OhMyEnglishTeaBags
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jack F

Having a Warm-Site backup server.

Post by OhMyEnglishTeaBags »

Hello,

We were discussing having a secondary Veeam backup server that would be switched off until required. Once a month or once a fortnight we'd spin it up, do Windows Updates, AV and Veeam updates. But my question is in terms of licencing. If I apply our current licence, it will de-register our production backup server? So i'd have to keep it unregistered / expired Trial licence until it's required? This 2nd server would be purely for restoration and will not have any backup jobs (well, i'd import the backup config and disable all the jobs).

Also, in the event we have to use this secondary backup server if the production one is out of action, would we have to download the files so that the SOBR could sync or can we restore directly from the cloud without having to re-sync?

Thanks in advance.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Having a Warm-Site backup server.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Jack

There won't be a license issue. But it would be against our EULA if you use the same license on two different backup server without an enterprise manager managing the license.

What I would do, just have the second server ready with the community edition. Have the license file on the second server ready on a local folder. Please note, the license is not required to do the restores.
Also, in the event we have to use this secondary backup server if the production one is out of action, would we have to download the files so that the SOBR could sync or can we restore directly from the cloud without having to re-sync?
Easiest way, import the configuration backup to the second server in case you have lost the first one. And all restore points are available.
If you don't have the configuration backup file, you can connect to the object storage and import the backups to the configuration database. This will allow you recover all your protected workloads directly from the cloud.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software