Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
jadonr
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jadon

How do I backup a single file from a Workstation Agent?

Post by jadonr »

I would like to backup the file C:\configuration.xml from a workstation to my B&R server but have been unsuccessful. I have reviewed Article KB3236 (https://www.veeam.com/kb3236) but this doesn't seem to provide a method for only including a single file from a single folder. The "Include" filter doesn't allow an entire path - only the file and I don't want to include EVERY file with this name on my system. Surely I'm missing something.
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Re: How do I backup a single file from a Workstation Agent?

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi Jadon,

Do you use file level backup? It allows you just to list the files to be backed up. You can just select your file and there's no need to configure exclusions.

Thanks!
jadonr
Enthusiast

Post by jadonr »

Yes, I have chosen File Level backup. However, it only appears to allow folders. Even though I inserted the complete path to the file, when I click on the agent backup job details after completion, it shows the message "Cannot find folder C:\configuration.xml\".

As the image shows below, objects must be a path to a directory, not a file.

Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran

Jadon,

Ok, thanks, seems I got your first message incorrectly.
Just checked the following:
It helps to include one specific file to a backup.
Did you face any issues with this way of backup configuration?

Thanks!
jadonr
Enthusiast

Post by jadonr »

As I stated the problem with the include mask is that it will include all files with the defined name. I only want to include the "configuration.xml" located in C:\ but NOTHING ELSE from C:\. If I add "configuration.xml" to the Include Masks, then it will include this file from ALL other directories that I have added, right?
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran

Jadon,

Ok, I got it.
First, unfortunately you cannot use excludes if you back up from the root (C:\, not C:\Users, for example):
f you include a whole volume in the file-level backup, you cannot apply filters to include or exclude files of a specific type in/from the backup. You can only exclude specific folders that reside on the volume.
Second, if you use configuration I've provided above, it helps you to back up the files with a name specified in "include" section which are located in the specified directory and its subfolders - so in my example it's all VCC.lic files located in C:\Users\Public and all its subfolders.

If you need to back up a single file, you can try to do it with NAS Backup. I believe it's more convenient in your case.
To use it, you can add the target machine as a file server to your VBR and create a backup job for the selected files.
Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions on this configuration.

Thanks!
jadonr
Enthusiast

Post by jadonr »

Ok, I understand what you are saying. But why is this so complicated? Why not just have a single backup type that can cover directories AND select-able files? I don't really understand the purpose of having so many different ways to accomplish a backup.

Additionally, I presume if I use the NAS backup type, then it will be initiated at the server level instead of the workstation agent?
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran

Hi Jadon,

You are right, if you configure NAS backup, the file backup will be initiated by Backup Server, not by the Agent. But it's a valid workaround if you need to back up just one file (and I believe the best solution for file-level backup).

As for the agent backup, currently we don't have such possibility. But we realize it becomes complicated with all these includes/excludes and will try to improve this feature.
By the way, the kb you've mentioned (https://www.veeam.com/kb3236) will be updated and simplified.

Thanks!