Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
jahilton2002
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: John Hilton

How to recover a Physical device via VBR?

Post by jahilton2002 »

Hi all happy new year!

Here, we use VBR to back up our Hyper-v cluster and also have 5 physical devices backed up and managed via VBR.

These physical devices DO NOT have the Windows veeam agent gui on them as they were set up and deployed centrally in VBR.

The physical devices are as below;

1) s2dnode1 (excluding VMs just the windows install) server 2019
2) s2dnode2 (excluding VMs just the windows install) server 2019
3) s2dnode3 (excluding VMs just the windows install) server 2019
4) Physical Domain controller (outside of s2d cluster also a s2d witness) server 2019
5) Cashless catering system for the Kitchen Windows 10

Ok, so lets assume the number 5 physical device gets a bad windows update, is BSOD not working OS blah blah blah...... I want to restore this device from the day before, in its entirety.

How do i do this? I can't create a Veeam boot disc from the device (its not working) and it doesn't have the windows agent installed anyway as it was managed by the VBR console. I can't download the .iso from the veeam console as it doesn't have that feature and i can't download the .iso anywhere from veeams website.

How am i supported to do this?

So even though i have a set of back ups for these devices..... i can't technically get to them to restore them to the device in question.......

I had booked a job with veeam for this, i was advised i need to install the windows agent (gui) on the devices..... but that comes with all the sql express tat and wants to create a independent back job.... and so on.... in any case if the computer isn't booting, i'd have to manually install windows just to install windows veeam agent to create a veeam boot disc, then boot from the disc and recover from veeam :(

wonder if i can just copy the veeam recover disc wizard .exe :?:

Thoughts?

Cheers
haslund
Veeam Software
Liked: 149 times
Full Name: Rasmus Haslund

Re: How to recover a Physical device via VBR?

Post by haslund »

Hi @jahilton2002,
You are right the Veeam Recovery Media can be created from the servers where the agent is installed, but of course this requires you to do this in advance - not ideal. The better option is to do it from the Veeam Backup Server where you are centralling deploying the agents from.

The user guide has the steps here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... image.html and it works even if the physical server has failed.

Rasmus Haslund | Twitter: @haslund | Blog: https://rasmushaslund.com
jahilton2002
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: John Hilton

Re: How to recover a Physical device via VBR?

Post by jahilton2002 »

This is exactly what i was looking for thanks!