Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
jpotrz
Novice
Liked: never

I'm really confused/struggling with a restore problem.

Post by jpotrz »

I'm backing up one of our servers with the latest version of Veeam B&R.

As I test the restores, i get wildly varying restore speeds on some folders. My primary concern is a "self contained" database program that our office uses for virtually everything - this is the lifeblood of our business. It's old and antiquated. It's all contained within a single folder and sub folders - executables, database files etc. etc.

When I go to restore this folder, when it hits the large DB files (5-12GB) it will hum along at 200+Mb/s then drop off then peak again, drop off etc etc. It gets to the point where it's peak speed ends up being <50Mb/s, dropping to just Kbp/s nearly every second. The large DB files are .INT, .IDX and .DTE

I've made dummy files (5-12GB) and put them in the same folder, attempted to restore those and they hammer straight through at 400Mb/s. So it's not the source or the destination or the path between them. It's these specific DB files that are causing crazy restore speeds.

The problem is if I had to actually do a restore of the whole folder it ends up taking quite literally days. That's not ideal if we had an actual emergency. Is there something I am missing as to why certain large, multi-TB files would fluctuate speed like that? I'm really confused by it all.

Thanks in advance.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1575 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: I'm really confused/struggling with a restore problem.

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello and welcome to the community forums jpotrz!
backing up one of our servers with the latest version of Veeam B&R
Are you referring to VM backup or agent-based backup?
database program that our office uses for virtually everything - this is the lifeblood of our business. It's old and antiquated. It's all contained within a single folder and sub folders - executables, database files etc. etc.
Can you please clarify the name of the application that hosts this database?
When I go to restore this folder, when it hits the large DB files (5-12GB) it will hum along at 200+Mb/s then drop off then peak again, drop off etc etc. It gets to the point where it's peak speed ends up being <50Mb/s, dropping to just Kbp/s nearly every second. The large DB files are .INT, .IDX and .DTE
Can you please check the following: start a file level restore procedure, launch backup browser to list the content of your backup file but instead of restoring a file via backup browser open C:\VeeamFLR\ folder via regular windows explorer. Once done try to copy the desired files and let us know if it runs faster.

Thank you in advance!
jpotrz
Novice

Post by jpotrz »

Thanks for the quick reply, Dima.

This is a backup of a physical server, so agent-based backup.
The application that hosts the database is a specialty/propitiatory program called "Collection Master" (it is old, but functional)
I assume you mean to do a Guest File Restore, but instead of doing a "Copy to..." on the folder I'm trying to restore, I should navigate to C:\VeeamFLR\ on my local machine and copy it to a restore location?
I'm doing that now and it seems to get through the 1-2GB files fine (though the normal process handles that Ok as well). When it hits the 17GB file it seems to be doing the same process - sustain 40-50MB/s then drop down to a few Kb/s then more or less sit at 2-8MB/s from there forward.

I just tried the copy via command line too, and the same thing happened. https://imgur.com/a/uoPuljF
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello jpotrz,

Thanks for the update. Can you please also clarify how the repository is connected to this machine (i.e. the performance issue might be related to the connectivity between the machine and repository). Cheers!
jpotrz
Novice

Post by jpotrz »

They are connected over a standard LAN - 1Gbps.
If I copy files via UNC path (not touching Veeam at all) I have no problem at all with speed - it sustains 600-900Mbps to the destination (and vice versa)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks for the details! Unfortunately, I am running our of ideas, is it possible to raise a support case and let our engineers investigate the setup? Cheers!
jpotrz
Novice

Post by jpotrz »

Can I open a ticket while in 30 day trial mode still?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Sure, we do provide full support to customers on their official trial period, with SLAs according to Basic support program. Just go to www.veeam.com, click Support and open a support case (it will require you to sign in).