Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
edison5000
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: e

is deleting a protection group the only way B&R itself will offer to uninstall agents automatically?

Post by edison5000 »

It appears that there's no other way B&R will offer to uninstall agents that I can see. Even if you remove a single machine from a protection group by 'remove from configuration', it does not ask you.

If this is correct, I will add it to my upcoming list of feature requests. : )

Thanks!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: is deleting a protection group the only way B&R itself will offer to uninstall agents automatically?

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

You can uninstall agent from a specific computer using this option.

Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: is deleting a protection group the only way B&R itself will offer to uninstall agents automatically?

Post by Dima P. »

edison5000,

Can you please clarify you B&R version? If I recall correctly in v11 we've added a dialog prompt for remove from configuration option which should ask if you want to uninstall agent components. Thank you!
edison5000
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: e

Post by edison5000 » 1 person likes this post

Hi Dima. It is 11a.

So first, to reiterate; as I mentioned in my subject -

- if I delete a whole protection group
it will ask me if I want to also uninstall the agents. (yay)

But - otherwise, I do not see any other circumstance in which this is an option.

Here are all the choices as I see them in B&R:

- If I go into a protection group, and select machine(s) in it, and pick 'remove from configuration',
it will give me a popup dialog that says
"Agent XXXX is added to at least one protection group. Remove the agent from configuration anyway? Yes/ No"
That *only* removes the agent from the protection group - it doesn't remove agent components.

- if I choose a machine in a protection group, select Agent-> "uninstall all components", and do it -
it leaves the agent in the protection group - so then you have to manually remove it from configuration as well.

So as I said in my subject, far as I can see, if you want to completely remove computers from a protection group AND remove agent components, *deleting a whole protection group* seems to be the only circumstance in which B&R asks you if you *also* want to uninstall the agents as well.

If this is all working as designed, I will add it to my list of future feature requests. That is, I feel like you should be able to right click the computer of your choice, and have some option to both remove a single machine from protection group configuration AND uninstall agent - in one click. (Would probably also be nice to opt to delete the backups in there as well, but I suspect that would be a harder sell. ; )
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Thank you for the details and clarifications! Sounds like a good feature request and I'll discuss it with the team for sure. Will be happy to see and review the entire list of your feature request :wink: