Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
unsichtbarre
Service Provider
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: John Borhek

Managed session job has failed

Post by unsichtbarre »

Case #05851173

This Level 1 case has been with Veeam Support for 10 Days and I haven't heard anything in over a day, so it looks like I am on my own.
  • The Server is at location A, on network A
    The physical windows server to be protected is at location B on network B
    The target Repository is at location B on network C
Support initially dismissed this as network related, however after an extensive session on Tuesday where all ports were checked using:
test-netconnection -computername 192.168.99.99 -port 2500
(etc.). We also tested using DNS, and tested credentials through the console.

All networking connects with no issues and the credentials test good, however the job fails after about 6 minutes with:

Error: Managed session 81af3531-36a2-459f-aab8-6ddd7fa6ead4 has failed. JobId: 9dd3ea01-0f5b-4d5b-a19f-4cce367d2bff

There is a *.vbk and *.vbm created in the repo, but the *.vbk is too small to be meaningful (1.6 MB)

Other steps: clone the job and run, delete the *.vbk&vbm, rescan and Active Full, add hosts file entries to prevent subnet confusion, map SMB share from Protected PHYS server to repo (successful)
Looking for ideas.

THX,
-JB
John Borhek, Solutions Architect
https://vmsources.com
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Managed session job has failed

Post by Mildur »

Hi John

I moved your topic to this forum, because it involves VBR and Veeam Agents.

Thanks for the case number.
Have you used the Talk to a manager option in your support center? If you have any concerns about the case is going on, it's worth to involve our support management, especially for Level 1 cases --> https://www.veeam.com/kb2320
Sometimes it take some day or longer to solve an issue, but you should you get faster answers from our support team about the case.

For the case itself, if network doesn't prevent the agent and VBR server talking together, then it should work. So the best plan forward is to work with our support engineer. Please let me know if the "Talk to a Manager" option doesn't lead to a fast answer. I will forward your topic to support management if so.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi John

I just got informed by support management, that the case was escalated.
You should have an update soon.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
unsichtbarre
Service Provider

Post by unsichtbarre »

After "talk to a manager" and several emails to my Veeam rep, I got this from the escalation engineer:
  • "If we are not able to communicate and resolve IPV4 via DNS then we will not be able to connect to the machine to run a backup."
DNS and IPv4 connectivity were tested thoroughly by a Veeam support person and myself on Tuesday, and that is in the case notes!
unsichtbarre
Service Provider

Post by unsichtbarre »

We never got this working as "Windows Agent Backup," however it did work as "Windows Agent Policy." Veeam support spent considerable time with me (after I leaned on them a little) and tested all of the known network connections, DNS and routes, all were good but nothing would make "Windows Agent Backup" work.

THX,
-John