Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
ed9tho
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Thomas Holmberg

Ports and Rights to deploy to Win10 Case 05624001

Post by ed9tho »

Hi,
I have tried to deploy client to Win10 with and without protection groups. In both new and old domains and also in workgrgoup but always end up with errors.
To add Hyper v host and backup all VM has always worked without any problems. It's just to deploy those clients.
So my questions:

1: Domain veeam account(Used for all backup jobs) what rights are needed(domain admin/admin / what)?? Need to put that account on all clients local admin group?
2: What ports are needed to be open on the Win 10 clients to be able to deploy agent and also to be able to reach repository e.g (10001, 6183, 9395)?
3: All needed ports on the B&R server will be open during installation I guess?

Im using local system account on all Veeam services(should I maybe use the veeam domain account instead).

Below is errors I have seen on some of the systems I have tried on.

Alternative log directory setting error :

Code: Select all

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the registry key 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication' is denied.
   at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.Win32Error(Int32 errorCode, String str)
   at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.CreateSubKeyInternal(String subkey, RegistryKeyPermissionCheck permissionCheck, Object registrySecurityObj, RegistryOptions registryOptions)
   at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.CreateSubKey(String subkey, RegistryKeyPermissionCheck permissionCheck)
   at Veeam.Backup.Configuration.RegistryConfigurationController.CreateInternalWithFailover(String subKey, Boolean writable, Boolean enableFailover, RegistryView registryView)
   at Veeam.Backup.Configuration.BackupProduct.Veeam.Backup.Configuration.IProduct.CreateRegistryController(Boolean writable, RegistryView registryView, Boolean enableFailover)
   at Veeam.Backup.Common.LogFactory.GetComponentLogDirectory(SpecialFolder logFolder, Boolean writable)
Using default directory : C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alternative log directory setting error : 
System.Security.SecurityException: Requested registry access is not allowed.
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowSecurityException(ExceptionResource resource)
   at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.InternalOpenSubKey(String name, RegistryKeyPermissionCheck permissionCheck, Int32 rights)
   at Veeam.Backup.Configuration.RegistryConfigurationController.CreateInternalWithFailover(String subKey, Boolean writable, Boolean enableFailover, RegistryView registryView)
   at Veeam.Backup.Configuration.BackupProduct.Veeam.Backup.Configuration.IProduct.CreateRegistryController(Boolean writable, RegistryView registryView, Boolean enableFailover)
   at Veeam.Backup.Common.LogFactory.GetComponentLogDirectory(SpecialFolder logFolder, Boolean writable)
The Zone of the assembly that failed was:
MyComputer

Using default directory : C:\Users\thomas\AppData\Local\Veeam\Backup

Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Ports and Rights to deploy to Win10 Case 05624001

Post by Dima P. »

Hello ed9tho,
I have tried to deploy client to Win10 with and without protection groups. In both new and old domains and also in workgrgoup but always end up with errors.
Can you please share the text of these errors?
1: Domain veeam account(Used for all backup jobs) what rights are needed(domain admin/admin / what)?? Need to put that account on all clients local admin group?
Domain admin is required to install the agent in case of AD protection groups, for non-domain deployments - local admin is required to run the software deployment, upload and update backup components. In the job aApplication admin is required in the backup job to perform database, rest is performed under the local system account on the machine.
2: What ports are needed to be open on the Win 10 clients to be able to deploy agent and also to be able to reach repository e.g (10001, 6183, 9395)?
3: All needed ports on the B&R server will be open during installation I guess?
This article should help - Used Ports. Thanks!
ed9tho
Novice

Post by ed9tho »

Agent Policy job 'Win102' finished with Failed.
Job details: Waiting for rescan job Rescan of Win102 to complete
Unable to process Win102: host rescan is required
Nothing to process

It's still in a domain but not using protection groups. So what rights is needed then? Still domain admin?

3: But there are lots of firewall rules created on the B6R server during install and those doesn't cover this, or?

Also it doesn't tell if it's inbound or outbound but I guess it's only inbound rules?

And only thing I want to know is what is minimum requerment regarding ports on the server side and on the Win 10 side to be able to deploy?

Tried with both firewall turned of off both B&R server and Win10 client and with domain admin added. Still same problem.
ed9tho
Novice

Post by ed9tho » 1 person likes this post

Problem solved.
Ports to be open on client side are. Tcp 6184, 135,
137 to 139,
Make sure also to type domain\username when using domain name.