Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
arnolda
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Arnold A

Restore GPO does not restore the files and folder

Post by arnolda »

Hi,

Just wondering if any of you have experienced this issue before.

I tried to restore GPO using Veeam Explorer for AD and it came back with warnings saying 3 deleted objects have been restored. The objects are the {92xxxx...} which is the GPO itself, Machine container and User container.

I can verify via ADSI Edit that these 3 objects were restored. Via GPMC, the delegation, links have been restored as well but there are no computer/user configuration being restored. Looking at SYSVOL, I can see the restored GPO folder is empty. There is no GPT.ini or Machine and User folder.

In File Level Restore, I can see these files and folders exist and I can restore them successfully to make my restored GPO back to a complete state.

Is this the correct method of restoring GPO ? Doesn't seem right.. :)

Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Restore GPO does not restore the files and folder

Post by Mildur »

Hello Arnold

Did you have check out this behavior with our support team?

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
ajtucker
Lurker
Liked: never

Re: Restore GPO does not restore the files and folder

Post by ajtucker »

Hi arnolda
I just experienced the same issue and found this thread, so it looks like it is the current behavior of Veeam. This is the first time I have done a GPO Restore with Veeam so I am not sure if previous versions had a different behavior. The version I did the restore from was 12.0.0.1420.

Was a bit of a shock to do a restore "Group Policy Object" through the Veeam Wizard have it only restore half of what makes up a GPO! Doing a file-level restore of the relevant files out of SYSVOL fixed the issue for me as well. I guess it's this way because the Veeam AD explorer must only look at the LDAP side of things it can't do the file system components also.

- AJT