Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
mduffin
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mick Duffin

Restore Server 2019 - AD

Post by mduffin »

Hi,
Looking to restore our DC ( as a DR test )

Performed a full backup and restored this onto a test server we have... ( the Original DC is a VM but I'm restoring it onto a physical server ) and all went well, no errors etc...

Logged onto the server ( DSRM mode ) as it won't allow me to log on to the server as a domain user...

Tried running NTDSUTIL - semantic database analysis but get the error / message that 'Operation not allowed because AD DS/LDS files are in the restored state. Restart the directory instance to finalize the restore process.
I'm not sure what I need to do next to get past this...
Has anyone been in this position before? any ideas what I need to do?

Any help would be appreciated.
Regards,
Mick.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Re: Restore Server 2019 - AD

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

If you're restoring into the new/isolated environment, you have to do perform authoritative AD restore manually (Google for more info).

Veeam does non-authoritative DC restore assuming restore into the existing environment, which are much more common. Authoritative restores are very rare, because they are only performed when you lost ALL of your domain controllers. This becomes more of an advanced AD management topic, rather than simple backup/restore, and requires good AD knowledge as it's not just a few clicks in the wizard.

Thanks!