Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
ImagineDragons
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Nico

Restored Backup taken by Linux agent end up corrupted

Post by ImagineDragons »

Hello everyone!

I recently faced an issue with backing up and restoring a Linux VM. The issue happens with a Ubuntu 16.04 VM that has a the Veeam Linux agent installed (deployed via Veeam B&R). There is one backup job backing up this particular VM and a backup copyjob to transfer it offsite.
While doing either an Instant Recovery or VMDK export of the backups, the exported images are corrupted and can't boot successfully due to several shared libraries having ELF Header mismatches. libsystemd is one of those shared libraries which end up corrupted/changed. Even apt can't be used as it also relies on this particular library. While fixing this issue is possible, its not an option for desaster recovery.
The issue does not happen on the production side, we didn't detect any disk corruptions or ELF header mismatches there. The corrupted state occurs after the backup only. Several new full backups have been tested, all of them showed the same symptoms.
We checked several logfiles for errors already, among them the Linux agent's ones. No obvious error messages are getting displayed here.
This is a customers VM running on an ESXi host. How to proceed, are there more logs to check? Is this a common issue? Thanks in advance! :D

Cheers!

(case id is #05315411)
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Restored Backup taken by Linux agent end up corrupted

Post by PetrM »

Hi Nico and Welcome to Veeam R&D Forums!

No, it's not a common issue. Moreover, I would say it's a rare one and requires some time from our support team to narrow down the scope of potential causes. Did you try to back up this VM using VMware backup job instead of Veeam Agent?

Thanks!
ImagineDragons
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Nico

Post by ImagineDragons »

Hey Petr,
We don't have access to the ESXi this VM is running on. Thus, the only way of doing backups is using the Linux agent. What kind of logs can I provide you to help solving the issue?
Thanks!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Nico,

As explained here, it's not a support forum and it would be best to let our engineers to continue to work on this issue. I assume troubleshooting can take some time as it's definitely not a widely known problem.

Thanks!