Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
techydork_AK
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Dustin Phillips

Streamlining backups and copy jobs

Post by techydork_AK »

Hello all,

We have been running Veeam for a little over a year now. We are backing up mostly physical servers at this point, with a few Hyper-V VM's on two hosts. We are adding in a cloud repository to our storage pool and I am hoping you can all help me streamline our backups. We currently do our backups to two locations, via seperate backup jobs.

Main backups go to a NAS and in general servers are backed up here daily, some every few hours during the work day.
In separate jobs all servers are then backed up to external hard drives that are rotated several times a week to give us an air-gaped backup, and also an offsite backup.
We are now adding a cloud repository for DR and additional air-gaping of our backups. In testing we have been getting backups to the cloud by running a backup copy job on the backups that go to our main NAS unit.

My question is is there a better\more efficient way for us to be getting the backups in to the three locations NAS - > Rotated Drives - > Cloud....?

Show we just be running the main backup job and then doing copy jobs to the cloud and the rotated drives?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Streamlining backups and copy jobs

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.
the main backup job and then doing copy jobs to the cloud and the rotated drives?
yes, that's the easiest way. I would take that one :-)

Best regards,
Hannes
techydork_AK
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Dustin Phillips

Post by techydork_AK »

That is kinda what i thought. :)

What if I have a server that we backup every few hours during the day, but i only want to copy the last backup of the day to the drives and cloud?

What would be the most efficient way to make that happen?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

that's a feature that is available in the periodic copy mode. just set it to every 1 day . then it will only copy what is relevant after 1 day / 24h.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100