Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
eternal_noob
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mr. X

Ticket #04029327 - Failed to query NTFS - Bad Allocation - Socket Forcibly Closed

Post by eternal_noob »

Error: Failed to query NTFS directory 'VIDEO2\PHOTOS\2019\xxx\xxx' Agent failed to process method {FileBackup.SyncDirs}. Exception from server: bad allocation
Error: Socket has been forcibly closed. Failed to recover connection.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Ticket #04029327 - Failed to query NTFS - Bad Allocation - Socket Forcibly Closed

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Nathan,

Can you please clarify what product version you are running and what job type gives you this error? Thank you.
eternal_noob
Novice

Re: Ticket #04029327 - Failed to query NTFS - Bad Allocation - Socket Forcibly Closed

Post by eternal_noob »

Hi Dima, thanks for your reply.

I am using B&R Community Edition, but I intend to buy Enterprise once I can get all my jobs working consistently.

I am using version 10.0.0.4461.

The backup target is a physical server with Windows Agent, running Windows Server 2012 R2.
The backup server is a physical server running Windows Server 2008 R2.
The backup repository is a Synology NAS.
Veeam is using an AD domain admin account to communicate with backup targets, and a local NAS account to write to backup repository.
I have 3 jobs on this server that run daily, all using the same credentials, on servers in the same domain. The other 2 jobs work great everyday, only this job continually fails.

This job was failing on both 9.5 and then 10, until I seemed to have got it working over the weekend. It completed its first and only successful job on Feb. 21, 2020.

Since then, it has failed everyday with different errors:

Code: Select all

Sunday, February 23, 2020 8:00:25 PM
	DATA (E:): enumerating directories

Sunday, February 23, 2020 8:33:31 PM
Task failed unexpectedly

Monday, February 24, 2020 8:00:22 PM
Error: SQL server is not available
Task failed unexpectedly

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 6:00:16 PM
Error: Failed to query NTFS directory 'VIDEO2\DESIGN\xxx\xxx\xxx\xxx' Agent failed to process method {FileBackup.SyncDirs}. Exception from server: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service. Failed to read data from the file [\\BACKUP_REPOSITORY\Veeam\NTFS2-VID\NTFS2-VID\NTFS2-VID - NTFS2-VIDD2020-02-21T205700_BA0B.vbk].

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 6:30:02 PM
Error: SQL server is not available
Task failed unexpectedly

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 7:56:43 PM
Job has failed. See logs for details.

Wednesday, February 26, 2020 4:54:26 AM
Error: Failed to query NTFS directory 'VIDEO2\PHOTOS\2019\xxx\xxx' Agent failed to process method {FileBackup.SyncDirs}. Exception from server: bad allocation
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Nathan,

Thanks for the details! That's a file level backup job, right?
eternal_noob
Novice

Post by eternal_noob »

Yes, it is a file level backup. My Backup Repository sadly doesn't have enough space to perform a volume or full backup of this server.

Also, Veeam Support has closed my ticket without performing any work on it, stating they are too busy right now to help me.

As I am trialing the software with the intent to purchase Enterprise edition in the future, if I can't get this working, I will sadly have to remove Veeam and go with another vendor.

When my jobs are working, I absolutely love Veeam, so I really hope to get it working. Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks everyone!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Nathan.
- yes, free products support is on best-effort basis, leading some cases being closed due to support load.
- please make sure system requirements are met on both VBR server as well as agent-protected machine. Errors like "SQL server is not available" usually indicate heavy load on a machine, which leads to SQL drops. RAM is a primary thing to watch. Increase of swap size might help.
- any chance to rename folder "GREATful\"? I can see a non-latin special character there...just for the sake of a test.
/Cheers!
eternal_noob
Novice

Post by eternal_noob »

Thanks for your reply.

I do fully understand about support for a free product... The problem of course is that I want to buy it once I get it working, so if I can't get it working, I can't buy it and I'll have to look toward a competitor, which is counter-intuitive to traditional business practices.

Anyway, yes, I was a little concerned about that special character as well. Got to love Mac users...

Just as a follow-up, the most recent error to the job was something about unavailable resources. When I researched online, I found that it often means that the backup server is struggling for some reason (as you have suggested yourself)... So for now, I have migrated the database to my workstation and I finally got a successful job last night. I am going to let it run for 2-4 weeks and if all goes well, I will be able to purchase the enterprise product from my vendor.

Thanks again for your team's responses. Looking forward to being a paying customer soon.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Thanks for the update, I am glad it worked out with new DB location.
Have fun with tests and welcome on board!
/Cheers!