Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
ethan.lai
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ethan Lai

Veeam Agent for AIX/Solaris

Post by ethan.lai »

Hi,

Need some advise here.
I have customer who is currently using the AIX and Solaris machine in their Data Centre, and the current backup that they are using now for the AIX is TSM and for the Solaris is on Networker.

I did a some background check with customer on the OS version that the machines are running now:

1. What is the AIX OS version that is currently running on the machine? 7.1
2. As of the Solaris, I believe is Oracle Solaris, right? Again, can let us know the OS version that installed on the machine now? Sparch 10 /11, x86
3. For the TSM that you using now for the AIX, can I know what is the version? Is it TSM 6.x? TSM version 7.1.9

Questions:
1. Is VEEAM Agent for AIX/Solaris good fit for above scenario?
2. As per my understanding, currently the VEEAM Agent for AIX/Solaris is just standalone product, right? Is there a plan to integrate to VEEAM Backup and Replication suite?
3. Lastly, what are the key things i need to take note if I were to propose the VEEAM Agent for AIX/Solaris backup to customer?

Looking forward to some good feedback.
Thanks.

cheers,
Ethan
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2878 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam Agent for AIX/Solaris

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

1. it depends on what you need to backup / restore. The current version of the product might be 1:1 what you see in TSM because we licensed the same technology like IBM does (Christie). If it is only about bare-metal restore and file restore, it might be a good fit.
2. correct. there are plans for improvements. for example the next version will be able to backup into a Veeam repository. That means you see the backups on the central VBR server.
3. key is "what needs to be restored - are there applications that require integration? e.g. Oracle RMAN?"

Best regards,
Hannes
ethan.lai
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ethan Lai

Re: Veeam Agent for AIX/Solaris

Post by ethan.lai »

Hi Hannes,

Thanks for the explanation. Well, you spot on the issue, whereby customer indeed looking to have fast recovery in terms of file level restore or, perhaps to up the system at staging area while waiting for the full bare-metal restore. According to customer, the current TSM take longer time to perform restore hence, they requires a fast recovery to tackle this issue.

About "what needs to be restored, in terms of application", well, this I will need to double check with customer to reconfirm again what application parameters or directory requires for the restore task.

cheers,
Ethan