Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
Rumple
Service Provider
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Mark Hodges

Vmware to HyperV migration

Post by Rumple » 1 person likes this post

I just wanted to drop a note to Veeam know how awesome the agent backed backup are for migrating vmware to HyperV (or in this case Azire HCI Stack 20H2).
I've been migrating machine like crazy (all of them 2008 R2 so far) and most of the servers are anywhere from 40-120gb in size. I run a backup, I do an instant recovery as as Veeam is doing the configuring of the VM, I shutdown the vmware box and then edit the HyperV VM that was created and add a VLAN (not sure why that is NOT part of the veeam network settings), and then watch while the VM powers on. Its typically not really usable in this state as its pretty slow running on my synology storage, but its good enough to see the VM boot up successfully with no boot issues, then I start the move to production piece. It then finishes up installing new drivers in windows and then another reboot and voila, successfully migrated.
On average its about 30-60 minute outage depending on how on top of the migration I am.

Now, the one thing I'd wish for if I had a wish to get, would be to be able to enable a replication job from vmware to HyperV that would basically do this entire process of backing up the data with the agent, then restoring it into the VM incrementally so that failover would basically be a power on new VM and do permanent failover.

That would be the cat's meow....
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Vmware to HyperV migration

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Mark.

Thanks for warm feedback!
I will check "VLAN" part during Instant Recovery process to make sure it was intended to be left out.

/Cheers!