Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
Novox
Expert
Liked: 22 times

Where is the appropriate place for new feature requests? + New Feature Request!

Post by Novox »

I have a new feature request but can't seem to determine definitively if it should go on these forums, or https://community.veeam.com/topic/new...

Anyway...

Feature Request: Allow backups to be resumable/restartable...

Resumable file copying has been around for quite a while...

Code: Select all

copy ... /z

Code: Select all

robocopy ... /z
A majority of my agents are remote and Veeam Agent backups perpetually fail because the workstations go offline before their multiple GB uploads to the VBR repository is complete... this results in a lot of wasted bandwidth and a very low RPO.

If it hasn't already been contemplated by Veeam (and I can't imagine it hasn't...) my number one feature request would be... resumable backups. If this has been suggested before (one assumes it has), please educate me on what is preventing this feature from being implemented.

Thank you!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Where is the appropriate place for new feature requests? + New Feature Request!

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Novox.

R&D Forums are perfect place for feedback and feature requests!
Since your request is more agent-related, I have moved it under respectful thread. Similar requests appeared a few times here before.

We already have a resume function that continues the backup where it left off, however it works only during some specific cases. Please check "Job retry".

Can you please shed some more light on your case details:
- do machines "go offline" by losing network connectivity with VBR repository(say, disconnected VPN), or by switching off?
- if switching off, is it a power off or hibernate\sleep?
- what kind of repository type is in use?

/Thanks!
Novox
Expert
Liked: 22 times

Re: Where is the appropriate place for new feature requests? + New Feature Request!

Post by Novox »

The workstations may roam off network, be turned off during a multi-hour job, etc.

Sometimes they are powered off, sometimes they are put to sleep.

We are using the VBR server and DAS drives as the repository.

It's just... a backup could be 5 hours in, have copied 30GB to the VBR repo, then if the job fails for any reason (laptop disconnects or otherwise goes offline), then 5 hours and 30GB of bandwidth are wasted. The job does not attempt to continue copying the remainder of the backup file, throws all the work away, and starts over for another precarious 5+ hours... :/
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Thanks for details.
Definitely a possibility of improvement here.
Added your +1 for more flexible resume backup operation.

/Thanks!