Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
WinstonWolf
Veteran
Liked: 11 times

Which ist the best Veeam Produkt to Backup an single physical Server to an NAS System?

Post by WinstonWolf »

Hello ,

I have only one physical Windows 2022 Server .
This Server should backed up every night on an NAS System.
Normally i choose for this Veeam Windows Agent , but there is an free Product called Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition.
Ist this possible with this Product or should i buy the Veeam Agent for Windows ?

Thanks
Michael
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Which ist the best Veeam Produkt to Backup an single physical Server to an NAS System?

Post by Mildur »

Hello Michael

Please first let me note, having only 1 backup on your NAS is not a good protection against ransomware attacks. A malicious attacker will be able to delete all backups and encrypt/delete data on your server.
To have a good protection, you should use immutable or air-gapped backups. Using immutable object storage as a target could be helpful in protecting your server the right way.

Back to your question:
"Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows FREE" can take full backups of your server to your NAS device. And you can restore the entire server to the same or other hardware. But if you need application aware backups (Active Directory, MSSQL Server, Exchange Server, SharePoint Server), you must use "Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Server".

Veeam Backup & Replication is our backup server product, which allows you to protect virtual machines and physical machines through agents. Other capabilities include orchestrating public cloud backup solutions or NAS backups.
Veeam Backup & Replication is also required to do item level restores of those applications. This feature cannot be done with the agent alone.

Both products can protect your server, but for specific restore operations Veeam Backup & Replication is required.

Licenses for Agent backups will come in 5er packages (VUL = Veeam Universal License). You cannot buy a single Veeam Agent license. If you have only one server to protect, I suggest to reach out to a Veeam service provider which can provide you with a rental license. They can also provide you with the right backup storage solution to protect your backups from ransomware attacks.
You can find managed service providers in your region on our website:
https://www.veeam.com/find-partner.html?type%5B%5D=VCSP

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software