Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
phincd
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: William

AutoLoader Not Returning Tapes

Post by phincd »

Hello,

Love the new tape features. After shutting down services to BackupExec I see my Quantum SuperLoader 3 just fine in the system. I do seem to have one problem that I am not sure how to resolve. It seems tape processes pull the tape from the autoloader just fine, but when complete they leave the tape in the drive. If I try to use the SuperLoader's web interface to move the tape it complains that the device is currently busy even if the process has finished. I am assuming it is leaving the system autoloader in a locked state.

I thought maybe this was due to some compatibility issue with the SuperLoader. I downloaded the latest drivers from Quantum for both the tape device and the superloader and both show correctly in the Device Manager, no unknown or unrecognized device for either of these.

Is there any way to make the jobs return the tape to where it came from?
Also, is there any way to force unlock of the autoloader from B&R 7?

Thanks! Great product!
0am
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ashley

Re: AutoLoader Not Returning Tapes

Post by 0am »

I had this problem with our Dell 124T until I checked the 'Eject media once the job finishes' box in backup to tape options. From doing some research this option really means 'put the tape back in the autoloader slot' not actually eject the tape to the mailslot.
I've also got some strange locking happening when I'm changing the tapes. When I tell the autoloader to eject the tape it tells me "system locked" but a retry of the eject from the same slot works fine. Until the next slot, which tells me "system locked" again. I just assumed it was Veeam B&R detecting the media change and using the barcode scanner to work out which tape was where
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

From doing some research this option really means 'put the tape back in the autoloader slot' not actually eject the tape to the mailslot.
Yep, you’re right. If "Eject media once the job finishes" check box is selected, the tape will be automatically placed into a slot, once the tape job is over. And tit seems to be exactly what the op's looking for.

If you want place a tape media further into i/e (mailslot), you should put into the "export" functionality.

Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

William, Ashley,

I noticed in you posts that you were using Backup Exec previously - could you please double check in your server's device manager, drivers for your tape devices? I saw recently couple of cases where Symantec customer drivers where used for tape drives and they strangely behaved with Veeam v7 tape functionality. In case you have them installed - please update drivers to standard Windows drivers.
Unfortunately there is no such functionality at the moment - but we will look into this.
Thank you.
phincd
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: William

Post by phincd » 1 person likes this post

It works fine when I use the "Eject" option; however, I am wondering if "Eject" is the right word to use here. It sort of confuses the process as when you refer to ejecting it usually means sending out of the device. That works fine in a single tape system but not with an autoloader of any kind. Most autoloaders refer to ejecting as putting the tape out of the loader all together through the mail slot. Maybe simple word change to "Return" would be better: "Return media once the job finishes".
Just a thought.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Thanks, William, for your feedback; much appreciated. At least, now you’re aware about the meaning that stays behind two terms and this should help you to avoid misunderstanding in the future.
ThomasS44
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas

Post by ThomasS44 »

Dear phincd,

Finally, have you found a solution to launch tape "Export" with your Quantum Superloader 3 ?
Actually I have a Veeam v9 Update 2 connected to a Quantum Superloader 3 , but I found no way to use Export option.

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hmm, and "Eject media once the job finishes" check box doesn't work for you? Thanks.