Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
amarosilva
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Amaro Silva

AWS / VTL Differential

Post by amarosilva »

Hi,

I know this question has been asked before and there are discussions already in the forums about this but I would like to bring other concerns into play.

I love the idea of forward incremental and reverse incremental for local storage backups, specially with synthetic backups, but as soon as I look at my offsite DR which currently resides on AWS Storage Gateway using VTL I have some worries about the amount of tapes that I may potentially have to retrieve and the potentially massive cost in order to recover our backups.

We are only a state school so the luxury of off-site DR is already a big cost but the cost of recovery is a real concern as well.

Obviously we will have to pay but I just wonder if there is a better way by implementing a differential method? This would be a significant saving when it comes to retrieving the tapes from Amazon Glacier.

Does anyone have any other strategies that I could implement to potentially reduce the cost of recovery?

A full backup overnight is not possible due to the data size/bandwidth/window size. This is also too costly even if possible.

Many thanks,

Amaro
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: AWS / VTL Differential

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Amaro,

There is a pretty good implementation of VTL for Amazon by StarWind. I cannot comment on pricing but this might be a potential workaround, so worth checking. Cheers!