Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
IH8_Computers
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ryan Farrell

Backup Synology DS2415+ NAS to LTO 8 Tape Library?

Post by IH8_Computers »

As described, we have a customer with a 76 TB Synology DS2415+, of which approximately 40 TB is used as as repository for media archives. This massive amount of data is not backed-up anywhere., and we desperately need it backed-up offline. Given the size, replication to our VeeamCloud connect repo is obvi not an option.

Our proposed solution will be to a robotic tape library, as identified/described in other similar posts:

1) Deploy physical backup server.
2) Attach LTO 8 Tape Library to server (via SAS card/cable)
3) Map Synology NAS to backup server
4) Create 'jobs' to write data to tapes
5) Profit?

Since the data is simple CIFS/SMB shares on a NAS (not actual Backups), which method would we use in Veeam to write data from mounted Synology NAS to the Tapes? File to Copy? I've heard the write-speed can be pretty dismal, which would most differently be an issue with with 40 TB or raw data.

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Backup Synology DS2415+ NAS to LTO 8 Tape Library?

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Ryan.
Sounds about right. You are looking for Veeam File to Tape backup job type and giving the fact of average 300MB\s native -> 750MB\s compressed lto8 speed you shall get Full backup within 15 to 38 hours. After that incremental backups shall be of no trouble. Given numbers are for single-drive of course, so if you will have multiple drives, you can take advantage of Tape Parallel Processing, which can stream multiple File to Tape jobs simultaneously, giving speed increase equal to the number of drives in question.
/Cheers!
NightBird
Expert
Liked: 57 times

Post by NightBird »

I don’t think this kind of synology nas could reach a substain rate of 300MBytes/s to an lto8 tape.
If you have a lot of small files, take care sql express database could hit his size limit.
RobTurk
Veeam Software
Liked: 65 times
Full Name: Rob Turk

Post by RobTurk »

I don’t think this kind of synology nas could reach a substain rate of 300MBytes/s to an lto8 tape.
I think you are right on this one. The DS2415+ has 1Gb Ethernet which limits the speed to ~100MB/s, even if the disks were able to sustain the load.
Since you mention media files, they are likely large files, so I would expect that you max out the Ethernet port.

If you really need to get as much out of that box as possible, you may consider multiple LTO-6 or LTO-7 drives to run multiple parallel jobs over aggregated Ethernet, but that would require more tapes, thus a bigger library.
Another option might be to upgrade the NAS to something like a DS3617xs with 10GbE. Such an upgrade would also benefit you during daytime.