Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
matteu
Veeam Legend
Liked: 118 times

backup tape and cloud connect

Post by matteu »

Hello,

I have my customer with this jobs :
Backup to NAS
backup to Tape
Backup copy to cloud connect

Sometime on the backup to tape or backup copy to cloud connect I have error because my file is in used.
Can it be because my 2 jobs happens simultaneously ?

How can I manage it correctly ?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: backup tape and cloud connect

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
Can it be because my 2 jobs happens simultaneously ?
yes, that sounds like the reason.

For tape jobs, there is the "If some linked backup jobs are still running, wait for up to x hours"

For the backup copy job: ensure that there is enough performance / bandwidth that two jobs don't run at the same time. A backup job is more important than a tape / copy job. So the software prioritizes the backup job.

Best regards,
Hannes
matteu
Veeam Legend

Post by matteu »

Thanks for your answer.

What you mean is veeam do this :
1)Backup
2)Backup to tape
3)Backup copy

because backup to tape has more priority than backyp copy right ?

That means I have no solution for both to occurs at the same time.

I don't know really what can be the good choice for my customer....
His tape job is slow and his bandwith with cloud connect too... That means he can't have both.
Finally, he use reverse incremental because he want his last backup to be a full and for this, all backup to tape are full backup... I'm not sure this scenario is the good one because when we need to send data to cloud connect, it needs to calculate the last incremental point ?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

If you say "sometimes"... what does that mean? Sometimes the BCJ and backup to tape jobs run at the same time and sometimes there are errors? If yes, do you have a case number for that?

Backup copy jobs and backup to tape jobs can run at the same time with the same backup job as source.

My understanding was, that the backup job causes the issue, but that seems to be a misunderstanding on my side. Backup jobs have priority over all kind of copy jobs.

Are they on V11 already? If not, upgrade to V11 might also help for tape jobs with async read.

More complicated idea: I would migrate the NAS to REFS with iSCSI to have block cloning. That should reduce the backup time and give more time for the other jobs.
matteu
Veeam Legend

Post by matteu » 1 person likes this post

They doesn't seem to work at the same time when I'm on 1 backup / job file ^^. I can see in the statistic tab the file was locked.
I will do some change after I talk with a veeam engeneer :

Use forward incremental with synthetic full the weekend
Use per vm backup chain

They are on V11 since last week.

The nas is iscsi and use refs with fastclone. Backup job is not the real problem because it s working perfectly.
The issue is when backup copy and backup to tape start at the same time.

I will update the policy friday because I know it will be a full when I will change the backup policy mode.