Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
rboynton
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Rick Boynton

Backup to Tape From Non-VM Server

Post by rboynton »

We need to not only back up Veeam B&R backup files, but also backup files that are created by using the Windows Agent. Since I understand that we cannot set a backup job to back up directly to tape (must go to disk first); must the server being backed up by the WA have the backup files sent to the main Veeam backup repository... where it is then backed up to tape? Sorry, need to wrap my head around how this works.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup to Tape From Non-VM Server

Post by veremin »

must the server being backed up by the WA have the backup files sent to the main Veeam backup repository
Correct. Thanks!
rboynton
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Rick Boynton

Post by rboynton »

Thanks, Vladimir! One more question for you; based on some other posts, I understand that I should not have VEEAM compress backups AND have the tape drive do compression because it can actually cause poor performance. I will be using LTO-8 tapes and want to get the maximum amount of data onto the tape. So should I set the backup job to not compress the data, then only use tape drive compression to do this? Thanks for the help!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I'd advice to test both compression technologies separately (Veeam backup job compression, tape device compression) and see which one provides the data reduction level.Thanks!