Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
angelokbabi1987
Influencer
Liked: never

Backup to Tape Jobs does not continue using current media set

Post by angelokbabi1987 »

Hello Community,

I created a Media Pool with the option "Create new media set for every backup session" selected.

Backup to Tape jobs are scheduled to be performed each month (each last sunday of the month) with a retention policy of 12 months.

The first Backup to Tape job were performed successfully on July 25 and used 5TB out of 10TB (5TB of free space).

After this job completes, I changed the Media set option from "Create new media set for every backup session" to "Do not create, always continue using current media set" for space savings purposes.

On August 29, the second Backup to Tape job were performed successfully, but, the job used a new Tape of 10TB. I could see that this Tape was used at 6TB out of 10TB (4 TB of free space).

I do not understand why this second Backup to tape Job did not continue to write data on the first Tape that was not full (used at 50%).

I expected to see that the second job write 5TB of data on the first Tape media, and the other 1TB of data on a new Tape Media.

Do you have an explanation of that ?

Thanks.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backup to Tape Jobs does not continue using current media set

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
sounds logical to me, as the "Create new media set for every backup session" was set during the fist run. So that media set was already closed.

There are also some other reasons listed why a media set could be closed: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

If the media set isn't continued at the end of September and none of the reasons from the link above is true, then I suggest to check with support what happened.

Best regards,
Hannes