Backup to Tape only last backup with reversed incremental

Everything about backing up to tape

Backup to Tape only last backup with reversed incremental

Veeam Logoby joergr » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:06 pm

Friends & Forum,

is there any possibility to let a backup to tape job let only backup the last backup using reversed incremental veeam jobs? even if no backup to tape was written before at all?

here is what i want to do:

- using only reversed incremental mode at all in my jobs, so i have a full backup every day without having to actually wait for a real full backup
- backing up this last vbk to tape every night. only this last - not the previous ones
- do not care about tape protection at all - veeam should overwrite whatever it finds on the tape - whatever time frame has passed - even if the last backup to tape is only 5 hours old

here is what i tried:

- configured no tape protection at all - overwrite everything - don´t care about losing my previous tape data (media set retention is set to "do NOT protect data")
- tried both options at media set config, tried "create new media set for every backup session" and also "always continue using current media set".

No luck so far. The first backup will always backup everything (config as "backups to tape"). if i do a backup afterwards after doing a reversed increment again it will fail asking for another tape (if set to create a new media set for every session) or it will just append to tape (if set to use current media set).

So - it should not care about what´s on the tape at all. It should erase everything on the tape no matter what. AND it should backup only the last vbk in a reversed inc schematic.

Yeah i know - this is a really special scenario. It is for a really special testlab we are working on at this moment ;-) - as many of you know we are workaholic researchers ;-)

The very best regards,
Joerg
joergr
Expert

Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Joerg Riether

Re: Backup to Tape only last backup with reversed incrementa

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:55 pm 3 people like this post

Hello Joerg,
The options you used on the media pull for such scenario are correct:

- No tape protection at all
- Always continue using current media set

When you created backup to tape job did you use the original backup job as a source (or possibly repository)? Also you would need to use Run this job automatically > as a new backup appear option under the backup to tape schedule.
Thank you.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:23 pm 3 people like this post

You can, probably, achieve what you’re after using new PS cmdelts.

1) Turn off completely schedule of a tape job (let’s call it “Tape Job 1”).
2) Write a simple PS script that will erase a certain tape media and execute “Tape Job 1”. (Get-VBRTapeMedium, Erase-VBRTapeMedium)
3) Specify the aforesaid script as the post job activity of a normal backup job.

As the result, once the backup job is finished, script (run as a post job activity) will erase a tape media and execute the “Tape Job 1” that, in its turn, will write a newly-created .vbk file to it.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby joergr » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:27 pm

Thanks Vladimir. That argument is sound. Will try ;-)
joergr
Expert

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:31 pm

If you need any assistance with how this process should be scripted, feel free to create a new topic in corresponding subforum (PowerShell). Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby joergr » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:46 pm

Thanks!!
joergr
Expert

Veeam Logoby joergr » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:41 pm

OK, i thought this through. Here are my ideas how to do it. Please tell me if i am on the right way:

Create a PS script which does:

- delete any tape it finds in the streamer (no prob)
- execute the pre configured (with no schedule applied) tape job from within the ps script (no prob)

This script will be used as run as a post job activity for a standard backup job (also no prob).

The only thing which makes me a little headache is how can i make sure the tape job only backups the very latest vbk file and not all vbk files it sees?

Best,
Joerg
joergr
Expert

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:19 pm

But, with the reversed incremental mode there will be only one .vbk file in the end of the job and this file will be copied to a given tape media, right? Or you’re running an active full backup occasionally? Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby joergr » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:58 pm

Yes, Active Fulls are running on some days.
joergr
Expert

Veeam Logoby McClane » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:56 pm

I would also like an option to only copy the latest full backup to tape, and not all vbk's in the backup chain since the older vbk is already on an older tape. And space and time are often rare on tapes.
McClane
Enthusiast

Liked: 10 times

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:09 pm

If you are using Backup to Tape then VBKs that have already been placed on tape by Veeam will not be copied to tape a second time. Are you referring to VBKs that were put on tape by some other software?
tsightler
Veeam Software

Liked: 1737 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Veeam Logoby McClane » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:18 pm

Ah ok. When I tested yesterday I had two full backups on the disk and both went to tape. So I assumed after the next full backup both VBKs will go to tape, too. Good to know that it will only backuped once.
I could not find information about this topic in the documentation though.
McClane
Enthusiast

Liked: 10 times

Veeam Logoby Dima V. » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:42 am

- do not care about tape protection at all - veeam should overwrite whatever it finds on the tape - whatever time frame has passed - even if the last backup to tape is only 5 hours old

To do this the following options for Media Pool maybe used:
1 "Create new Media Set for every backup session" on Media Set step
2 "do not protect ..." on the Retention step

This would work very well in scenario when you have always Forward incremental backup and wants to archive only last VBK.

If total size of your VBK(s) bigger then the tape capacity don't forget to place appropriate number of free tapes to the Media Pool, or place them in to the Free Media Pool.
Dima V.
Veeam Software

Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Dmitry Vedyakov

Veeam Logoby joergr » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:41 am

Dmitry: No it will fail asking for another tape, i already mentioned that in my op. But let´s think this through....hmmmmm....do you know if veeam v7 backup to tape from files can handle hard links? if yes, i could try something funny like this here:

Code: Select all
$linkpath = "d:\veeam\veeam-hardlinks\"
$files = dir d:\veeam\veeam-backup\ -filter "*.vbk" -rec
$filteredfiles = $files | group directory | foreach {@($_.group | sort {[datetime]$_.creationtime} -desc)[0]}
ForEach ($File in $filteredfiles)
        {
        $FilePath = $File.DirectoryName
        $FileName = $File.Name
        cmd /c mklink /H $linkpath$Filename $Filepath\$Filename
        }

this should crawl the whole veeam-backup subdirs for the latest vbk and create hard links for each of it at the specified hardlink directory. then i could point my backup to tape from files right to that hardlink dir and after the job kill the hardlinks again. Oh yes, and with Get-VBRTapeMedium, Erase-VBRTapeMedium, i could erase the tape first ;-)

Would that work?

Best,
Joerg
joergr
Expert

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:02 am

But, am I wrong in assuming that in this case you will have to use “files to tape” job instead of “backup to tape” one, and, it in its turn, will inevitably lead to the loss of tracking mechanism: you won’t know on which tape medias particular VMs reside on, what medias are required in order to restore certain VM, etc.?

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Next

Return to Tape