Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
AaronD
Novice
Liked: 2 times

Backup to Tape v7 - Offsite Tracking

Post by AaronD » 2 people like this post

Currently we use NetBackup which does a splendid job of tracking tapes that have been sent off-site.

The question about whether such a feature would be available in v7 [for tracking/inventory of tapes that have been ejected after a backup job/sent offsite] was asked during the recent Backup to Tape Webinar, and the host of the webinar said that was a great suggestion and to request the feature in the forum.

It doesn't look like the attendee ever posted in this forum, so I thought I would.

I think this is a necessary feature as this is main reason tape it still used today, for off-site archival.

Can we expect to see this feature in v7? If we setup a job to backup to tape, then eject the tape once the job is complete, can we then automatically have said ejected tapes added to a "media pool" called "Offsite." This will help us track our off-site tapes and easily audit against the inventory list of say, Iron Mountain.

Thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup to Tape v7 - Offsite Tracking

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Aaron, the first implementation of tape support in Veeam B&R will not provide automatic tracking of offline tapes. However, you will have the ability to specify the further offsite location for the tape in its description field when you export the media and also you will always know which tape is required to restore the particular VM/file (Veeam B&R does track this information). We will consider this functionality for future versions. Thanks for the feedback.