Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Kimme
Novice
Liked: never

Backup to Tape with repository

Post by Kimme »

Hi,

using a fully licensed VBR installation baremetal to backup vsphere environment to local attached disk (44TB) and tape.
Now i have a second installation of VBR community edition to backup some workstations, running on a virtual server. The repository is of type SMB and resists on the aforementioned VBR server.
My thought now is to add the folder where the workstation backup resist as a repository on the baremetal server, add a backup to tape job and choose the newly created repository.
But in contrast to the display in the menu item "Backup Repositories", which shows Used Space, the tape job shows 0 as the size and nothing is backed up.
The workstation backup files in this new repository are displayed after a repository scan in VBR under Home -> Backups -> Disk.

Can someone explain to me the reason why nothing is backed up in the tape job?
Does VBR recognise that these are backups of another installation that works with the community licence?
btw.: file to tape is not an option, because size exceeds 500gb. And I don't see why I should spend thousands of euros on this when it was previously included and the costs for Veeam are constantly rising, but my environment remains the same.

Thanks in advance
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2430 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Backup to Tape with repository

Post by Mildur »

Hi Kimme

If I remember correctly, those backups must be mapped to a backup job or they won't be written to tape.
btw.: file to tape is not an option, because size exceeds 500gb. And I don't see why I should spend thousands of euros on this when it was previously included and the costs for Veeam are constantly rising, but my environment remains the same.
Veeam Backup files (vbk, vib, vrb, ...) won't consume file to tape licenses.

Please note: It is not allowed by our EULA to use community edition together with a paid license in the same environment. You must protect your workstation with a paid license.

https://www.veeam.com/licensing-policy.html
3.22. Community Edition and Free Licenses

Sharing of the Source Infrastructure between different Community Edition and Free Licenses is prohibited. This includes using multiple Community Edition deployments, or using both paid licenses and Community Edition deployments, to protect different parts of the same Source Infrastructure.
Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Kimme
Novice
Liked: never

Re: Backup to Tape with repository

Post by Kimme »

Thanks for your quick response.
The community version is for the workstation backup of a remote partner office that is not part of our Active Directory.
I have called our licence dealer to find out if just making the repository available is a breach of the licence.

As far as my problem is concerned, no tape backup is possible simply because there is no backup job.
Because the backup files are already located elsewhere, a tape backup is not absolutely necessary, but was intended as an additional plus to security.