Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
MCrown90
Novice
Liked: never

Basic tape job missed synthetic fulls

Post by MCrown90 »

My basic tape job has missed its last two synthetic fulls (drawing from 4 backup copy jobs). I have an active support ticket (03549903) but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced the same issue.

Specifically, I have 4 BCJs whihc run overnight in various configurations of forward and reverse incremental (the jobs predate me), all havet he same retention periods. My tape job runs continuously and successfully copies the daily restore points to a pool of tapes marked for incrementals. The job is also supposed to copy a synthetic full of each job to another pool marked for fulls on the 4th saturday of each month. This happened twice and then stopped (I think this was when I installed update 4, we're on 4a now).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. If I can fix the problem, should the job go back and create the missing fulls or is that wishful thinking? I've got a complete backup chain on tape but it's getting on for 80 incrementals now.

Thanks in advance.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Basic tape job missed synthetic fulls

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I'm not sure that I understood your configuration completely, so I need to ask first:
I have 4 BCJs whihc run overnight in various configurations of forward and reverse incremental (the jobs predate me), all havet he same retention periods
1) are you doing tape jobs from the backup jobs or from the backup copy jobs?
My tape job runs continuously
2) what kind of tape job / media pool (GFS?) are you using? Because a "basic tape job" (backup to tape without GFS) does not run continuously.
should the job go back and create the missing fulls
virtual synthetics for tape are only created "on demand" for the latest restore point.

Best regards,
Hannes
MCrown90
Novice

Post by MCrown90 »

Hi Hannes, thanks for your reply

1) The tape job is backing up the copy jobs.

2) I'm using two simple media pools, one for fulls, the other for incrementals. The Job is set to run continuously and copy incremental backups as they become available. Additionally, the job is supposed to create a synthetic full once a month.
sweepsd
Influencer

Post by sweepsd »

I'm having issues with disk(copy) to tape (standard) not creating synthetic fulls, works ok if the source is disk.

Andy
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hi,
@MCrown90: okay, configuration sounds okay for me. As support already sent you a hotfix, I hope it will fix that issue

@Seepsd: please open a support case and probably it's a good idea to reference the case here as it might be the same issue.

Best regards,
Hannes