Best strategy backup 2 disk 2 tape

Everything about backing up to tape

Best strategy backup 2 disk 2 tape

Veeam Logoby MMoret » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:38 am

Hi,

I would like to achieve the following, but do not know what the best backup 2 disk scenario is.
It i quitte a large environment (over 22 TB of VM data).

Backup 2 disk with 14 restore points and weekly full to tape.
My preferred solution would be forever incremental, getting exactly the 14 restore points and only one full.
But what is the impact on the backup job, is Reverse incremental better because the full to tape can use the reversed full.

Any advise??

Thanks!
Martijn
MMoret
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Martijn Moret

Re: Best strategy backup 2 disk 2 tape

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:04 pm

Create a backup to tape job, let it copy only full backups, select a weekly schedule for it, and specify the exact schedule for synthesized full backup.

In order to make the described scenario work you should wait until patch#2 is released, since there are currently several issues related to synthesized full backup.

I'd also think about creating several backup and backup to tape jobs in order to split 22 TB somehow. Otherwise, restoration of that amount of data might become tricky.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 974 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Best strategy backup 2 disk 2 tape

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:02 pm

Hi Martijn,
Forward incremental Forever advantages are fully described in this topic. Please take a look.
Also, if you decide to split your vms to several jobs, try to keep VMs with same OS and applications running in the same job to achieve better deduplication.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 396 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Return to Tape