Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
mbainbridge
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Marcus Bainbridge

Best way to use AWS Tape Gateway?

Post by mbainbridge »

I've been using AWS Tape Gateway as a third-level backup (in addition to disk and on-site LTO library). The AWS backups are separate jobs to the on-site backups. Due to limited upload bandwidth (20Mbps), I've split it into two backup jobs, with monthly full backups starting 2 weeks apart and twice-daily incrementals. It's not wonderful, but it works, and it should get better when a 100Mbps pipe arrives later this year!

There are still some things that I'd like to improve, but as it takes the best part of a week to do a full upload, and this also costs money in AWS storage and bandwidth, I haven't played around with it too much. I'd like to separate the jobs so that each month of backups is on a separate group of "tapes", but the current 3 options are confusing.

I have the media pool set to "Do not create, always continue" but this ends up with a mish-mash of backups between the two jobs. "Create new media set for every backup session" seems to use a new tape for every incremental, which is a waste. "Daily at..." is also a waste. I want a new media set created with each full backup, but I can't see an easy way to do this? I must be missing something, because this seems an obvious thing to want to do..?

The only thing I can think of is to create a separate media pool for each backup job, so the one job goes on one set of tapes and the other job on a different set of tapes. This way, mixing of backup tapes is less of a problem.

All ideas welcome :)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Best way to use AWS Tape Gateway?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Marcus,

Actually, you can use daily at this time and match the scheduled day for new media set creation with full backup schedule i.e. you schedule synthetic to run on Monday and configure new media set to be created on Monday as well. Cheers!