Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
kapple
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ken Applebaum

Can one tape server be shared with 2 B&R servers?

Post by kapple »

Hi,

We have a Veeam 9.5 infrastructure that includes a tape server. I have been tasked with re-designing our Veeam infrastructure. I have deployed a new B&R server, proxies and repositories.
Migrating jobs to the new server will be done in stages, until I can clear out the 2 extents of our current SOBR, and redeploy them as stand-alone repositories.
I have created a job on the new B&R server, having removed the VM to be backed up from the old B&R job. I also wanted to set up the secondary target as a tape job.
I had assumed that I could configure our current tape server to be used for both B&R servers. However, when adding the tape server to the new Veeam infrastructure, there was the following prompt:
"Specified host is already added as a tape server to the backup server xxx-xxx-xxx. Take ownership?"
From this prompt, I am assuming if I click "Yes", I will not be able to run tape jobs on the older, existing Veeam B&R server. Is my understanding of this correct?
I would like to have both Veeam B&R servers use this one tape server, and just be very careful with job scheduling until I retire the old Veeam server. Will this be possible?

Any advice on this issue is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Can one tape server be shared with 2 B&R servers?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Ken.

Single tape device can be controlled by only one Veeam B&R server. As a possible workaround you can use library partitioning to split the device in to two logical libraries and present each partition to separate Veeam B&R server. Thank you.
kapple
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ken Applebaum

Post by kapple »

Thanks for information Dima.
rogerdu
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Roger Dufour

[MERGED] Shared Tape Library

Post by rogerdu »

I wonder if this is still the case (Sharing a Library)...

My customer has 2 sites (ProdA, ProdB) who act as DR sites for each other, but only 1 tape library (IBM 3573) with 4 tape drives. We've recently attached this to the repository server in ProdB (the tape server). This tape device receives backup copies from ProdA (a push as it were). In this scenario, both repository servers are known to both backup servers. In all cases, Backups and Backup Copies are a push to both the local repository and the remote repository. Replications are a pull from the remote site (to facilitate failover). So, in this case, the tape server at ProdB is being catalogued and used by the Backup server at ProdA

Is it possible to attach this same tape server to the Veeam server at ProdB without having to partition the library?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Correct, that's still the case. Thanks!