Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
EdNewman
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Ed Newman

Copy and old disk backup to tape

Post by EdNewman »

Hi All. Last month we retired an old file server having given users plenty of time to move files off, but as is always the way we are now getting lots of request for files they forgot about to be restored.

Restoring the files is no problem, we have a good disk backup and also a tape backup that has been sent off site. However, the disk backup will expire soon and getting tapes back from off-site storage for an ad-hoc restore is a pain. So is it possible to copy a particular point in time disk backup to tape? This would be a little like a copy backup job, but I need to be able to pick a particular date/time of the original backup.

Thanks in advance!

Ed.
Mohamed Tawfik
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mohamed Tawfik

Re: Copy and old disk backup to tape

Post by Mohamed Tawfik »

Hello Ed.

as far as I'm aware of this, you have either the option to make the latest Backup chain to be copied to tape or all of the VBK/VBK+VIB chains of a certain job to be copied to tape, as I understood that you would like to pick a certain VBK chain to be copied to tape and there is no direct feature in Veeam as far to my knowledge that would allow you to do so, moreover I would suggest that you copy the VBK chain files you would like to copy to tape to a different destination (Folder) then try to create a File to Tape job pointing to this folder which should copy the files in the destination you chose to tape, give it a try and let me know if it worked.
Mohamed Tawfik
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Copy and old disk backup to tape

Post by veremin »

Another workaround is:

- Export particular restore point
- Make file to tape job copy the resulting .vbk to tape

Thanks!