Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
FabianF
Novice
Liked: never

Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Yearly - Simple and GFS

Post by FabianF »

Hello,

I have a question about the implementation, because we change our backup. We want daily, weekly, monthly and yearly backups on tape. Daily we create increments on disk and we do d synthetic full on fridays. Now we want these backups on tape, but I dont know how it works.
I was thinking about it. I create a simple media pool and a tape job after the diskjob. So I can write the increments on tape. Than I create a gfs media pool for the weekly (on sundays), monthly (first sunday) and yearly (first sunday) backups. But I dont know if this is the right procedure. In tape job a must define were my full backup is written. What happend if the Full backup and the weekly backup from gfs start at the same time? Maybe we should create a media pool without tapes and define this in the tape job.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Yearly - Simple and GFS

Post by Dima P. »

Hello FabianF.
I create a simple media pool and a tape job after the diskjob. So I can write the increments on tape. I create a gfs media pool for the weekly (on sundays), monthly (first sunday) and yearly (first sunday) backups
Sounds like a good plan.
What happend if the Full backup and the weekly backup from gfs start at the same time?
Since simple media pool and GFS media pool are different targets both jobs are completely independent from each other. The only issue might be the lack of resources (no free media or busy tape drive) but in such case tape job always waits for resources to become available. Cheers!
Crandall
Veeam Software
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: Alex Crandall

Re: Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Yearly - Simple and GFS

Post by Crandall »

Dima P. wrote: Since simple media pool and GFS media pool are different targets both jobs are completely independent from each other. The only issue might be the lack of resources (no free media or busy tape drive) but in such case tape job always waits for resources to become available. Cheers!
Hi Dima,

Sorry to necro this thread but I've been running into the exact same logic problems with how I've been trying to setup tapes. If Dailies can't be included in the standard GFS pool, then when setting up the backup job job there should really perhaps be setup different. For myself as an example:

1. I create a new job
2. Select the backup to disk jobs I want to include
3. Now this is where things get derailed. I want my full backups to go to my GFS pool, but I still want my dailies to go to the pool I've made specifically for them. However when I select my GFS pool for my fulls it gives me no options for incremental. The only time I get an options for incremental is when I select my dailies pool, but again I don't want to backup full jobs via the the daily pool, I want that in my GFS pool.

Ultimately it would be nice to see a daily option in the GFS; however if that's not possible the following would be nice to see. When settings up the job it would be nice to see Incremental Backup come before Full Backup so you could specify that your .vib go to the daily pool (if you even want dailies), and then the second menu be for Full Backups where you can specify your GFS pools. It just seems like a backward process to require two jobs to accomplish what could be done in one. This is especially frustrating because if having two jobs is the only option then I don't want my "daily" job to do any full backups, but I'm forced to.

Cheers.