Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
DDIT
Expert
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Michael Yorke

Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

Post by DDIT »

Hi,

I have just re-opened this case for the 3rd time.

1st case: #03174367
2nd case: #03229052
3rd case: # 03262558 (current)

Issue: I have a weekend tape job which creates a full backup of VM's from B2D jobs (4 jobs, 8 VM's total, total size 2.1TB). This job is written to a set of tapes which are rotated every 4 weeks.

Usually a few VM's will be written successfully to tape, then the error will occur.

Full backup: Failed to continue tape backup session on the next tape medium
ContinueBackupSynthesizedStorageToTape failed
Tape fatal error.
Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
Tape write error

The 1st case engineer asked me to run diagnostics on the tape drive and all came back successful, then suggested installing 9.5 update 3a, which fixed the issue for the next run. The following weekend the job failed, so (unable to re-open a closed case) the next case engineer suggested too many Satellite processes were being created and closed in quick succession - the finger was pointed at a monitoring agent called CentraStage and I was advised to stop this service, which I did. No more Satellite processes were created in the logs, and the next backup that weekend completed successfully. However, it has just failed again, so I now have a 3rd case for this issue and though I would post here for any helpful comments. Fresh logs have been sent with the 3rd case.

It's worth mentioning that I have another tape job which runs week nights and also at the weekend. This creates a full backup on the weekend and incrementals during the week nights, to a set of 7 tapes that stay in the autoloader and just rotate. This job is much more reliable and has only failed once in the past few months with a similar, but slightly different error.

Incremental backup: BackupSrvFileToTape failed
Tape fatal error.
Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
Tape write error
Exception from server: Shared memory connection was closed.

Tape fatal error.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Michael,

I've asked QA team to review the last case and share the result of their findings with you via your support engineer. Cheers!
eilhard@nzr.de
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Dietmar Eilhard

Post by eilhard@nzr.de »

Hi,
I have exactly the same error in the backup.
Is there an update to this problem?
Thank you!

Case: 03385865
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community David,

CRC error during the backup is usually related to the read from the device issues (basically when the file is sitting on the corrupted block and we cannot read such file). Recreation of the file might help indeed, but I'd rather investigate the root case: check if the source device has no corrupted blocks and replace if it starts to fail. Cheers!
IanBurge
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ian Burgess

[MERGED] Annual Backup Tape Failure

Post by IanBurge »

Morning.

I have an issue with an annual tape backup and have logged a case via a ticket via support (Case #05218088)

The job is processing and failing at 25% each time - Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi Ian,

Thank you for posting your Support case ID!
First, if you're unhappy with your case, you can always escalate it.
Also, I've moved your post to the existing thread. Please review the previous replies, might give you a hint.

Thanks!